Leash Training- when your dog pulls

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lostsheltervolunteer

Leash Training- when your dog pulls

Post by lostsheltervolunteer »

Okay, so I know the key to positive training of polite, no-pulling on walks is to start in an easy place and gradually make it harder. I also know that you should reward with food when the dog does something right, and stand in place or go backwards when he goes out of the position you want him to be in.
However, there comes a time when you do move onto a harder environment and your dog pulls. What do you do in the moment this happens? For example, if he begins pulling and is hard to redirect (he keeps doing it)? I know that may be an indication you shouldn’t be in such a distracting location, but what do you do when this does happen? When you are rewarding the dog a lot for good behavior, and stopping / moving backwards when he goes out of position, yet still he keeps doing it (and you can’t end the walk immediately)?

Also, how long (how many weeks? months?) should it take before you can trust that your adult rescue dog or a new puppy will walk politely and have a relaxing walk no matter where you are? I know it is always possible that any dog may pull at some time and that it would be silly to not believe this could happen, but I mean, when is the dog well trained, to the point that walks are relaxing, he is consistently focused on you, he is not pulling and is where you want him to be? ALSO, regarding the amount of time it takes, how do you know that you have exposed your dog to and practiced in enough situations and environments that he will generalize good walking to all places in the future? Is there a specific “number” of places you should visit?

I recognize that I'm a beginner trainer (dog owner) and not the best at training, so I'm sure these are all simple questions.

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for your time in replying to this.
Nettle

Re: Leash Training- when your dog pulls

Post by Nettle »

Have you read our pinned thread "Loose Leash Walking"? :) It doesn't take very long at all, providing everyone who walks the dog sticks to the system. If of course a dog is 'rewarded' by being allowed to pull by some people, it can take a while for the dog to understand that it can pull with this person but not that person. We don't reward with food in this case because the reward of keeping the leash slack is being allowed to walk.

Good for you for making your shelter dogs easier to rehome by installing basic manners - well done!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
lostsheltervolunteer

Nettle wrote:Have you read our pinned thread "Loose Leash Walking"? :) It doesn't take very long at all, providing everyone who walks the dog sticks to the system. If of course a dog is 'rewarded' by being allowed to pull by some people, it can take a while for the dog to understand that it can pull with this person but not that person. We don't reward with food in this case because the reward of keeping the leash slack is being allowed to walk.

Good for you for making your shelter dogs easier to rehome by installing basic manners - well done!
Thank you! The thing is though, that the shelter dogs are not treated the same by all people. I follow these steps when with the dogs, but I know they won't be that well behaved on leash when they go home, because most people let them pull and do anything they want. But I asked because a visitor at the shelter had asked me some of these questions.
lostsheltervolunteer

lostsheltervolunteer wrote:Okay, so I know the key to positive training of polite, no-pulling on walks is to start in an easy place and gradually make it harder. I also know that you should reward with food when the dog does something right, and stand in place or go backwards when he goes out of the position you want him to be in.
However, there comes a time when you do move onto a harder environment and your dog pulls. What do you do in the moment this happens? For example, if he begins pulling and is hard to redirect (he keeps doing it)? I know that may be an indication you shouldn’t be in such a distracting location, but what do you do when this does happen? When you are rewarding the dog a lot for good behavior, and stopping / moving backwards when he goes out of position, yet still he keeps doing it (and you can’t end the walk immediately)?

Also, how long (how many weeks? months?) should it take before you can trust that your adult rescue dog or a new puppy will walk politely and have a relaxing walk no matter where you are? I know it is always possible that any dog may pull at some time and that it would be silly to not believe this could happen, but I mean, when is the dog well trained, to the point that walks are relaxing, he is consistently focused on you, he is not pulling and is where you want him to be? ALSO, regarding the amount of time it takes, how do you know that you have exposed your dog to and practiced in enough situations and environments that he will generalize good walking to all places in the future? Is there a specific “number” of places you should visit?

I recognize that I'm a beginner trainer (volunteer at the shelter) and not the best at training, so I'm sure these are all simple questions.

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for your time in replying to this.