Defensive aggression from Pixie...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Re: Defensive aggression from Pixie...

Post by ScarletSci »

Nettle wrote:I think you are right on the button with why these things happened and what to do in the future. No need to worry about Pixie at all. I daresay if some oik had run up to you and pushed you and looked in your face and grinned and said "stupid old bat" you might have snarked as well.

Dad needs to be on board as well, though. Just stepping between dogs and making a body-barrier can be enough to avoid a spat.

Remember - they are dogs not angels :wink: I know you were a bit shaken up but honestly, that's just dogs being dogs.
We had a third incident. :(

Again, dad took both dogs to the newsagent this morning, this time met a different Jack Russell in there, which he says wasn't doing anything, but Pixie snarled and lunged and tried to bite.

I can see all the potential factors. Cortisol levels still raised from the last two things. My dad has been tense the last couple of days, I can see that transmitting down the lead. The newsagents has lots of shelving aisles, it's very tight quarters in there so I can see her feeling trapped while primed from the last Jack Russell's aggression. Dad is upset and angry. He isn't seeing it from her view, he doesn't believe she was provoked by the Vizla either.

My plan of action is: Dad doesn't walk her alone anymore. I've made my mind up to move back ASAP, and will stay here now. I will work with Pixie exclusively, to try to nip this in the bud before it escalates to reactivity completely. Take a break from seeing other dogs as much as possible, keep a distance, let her stress levels go down, work on some mind games at home and basic training.

Then work on seeing her behaviour and reactions to other dogs from a distance. See what distance she's comfortable with. I need to bone up on body language when it comes to stress and reactivity. I know many signs, and know Pixie very well, but I want to be proactive and make sure I know exactly what to look for. I want her to feel safe and confident, and to know I'm doing the best thing for her. Any other suggestions/ideas/comfort? I'm pretty upset. Blaming myself.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't be upset. You have analysed and are taking appropriate action. You are a great owner! :D Pixie is so lucky to have you.

I tell my clients to go to places where there are lots of dogs without their own dog so they can study body language and judge when things are about to kick off between dogs. It's time well spent.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Nettle wrote:Don't be upset. You have analysed and are taking appropriate action. You are a great owner! :D Pixie is so lucky to have you.

I tell my clients to go to places where there are lots of dogs without their own dog so they can study body language and judge when things are about to kick off between dogs. It's time well spent.
Thank you Nettle, that really does mean a lot to me! I adore my dogs, and want to do the best for them.

Went shopping today, got some super high value treats and some more toys. About to take them for their second walk, so fingers crossed.
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Hope the walk went well :) not sure what the answer is but George is very reactive mainly through fear. I think you are right to try & walk him yourself as you don't know what happens when your not there. Just keep an eye on his body language & try & remove him from the situation if he seems agitated. Lots of praise when he gets it right & I am sure you will see things improve.
Good luck.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Just an update for those interested; There have been no incidents at all since those three times over the one week period last month. I think it's a good example of how even a good natured, well balanced dog can be affected by a negative encounter, then need some time to de-stress and some positive work to get back to her usual, happy go lucky and confident self. After that one bad encounter with a pushy young dog, she was primed to react to anything that she found threatening.

I basically kept her away from other dogs (besides Jack of course) for about two weeks, and did lots of mind games and basic obedience training with her over that period on top of the walks. Then reintroduced her to dogs she already knows and likes, then carefully but confidently let her meet new dogs at her own pace, with a watchful eye on her body language. Treats and praise after good encounters or when she chose to ignore or walk away from a dog she was unsure of. One dog that was too bouncy for either of our liking, I put Pixie behind my legs and used the VOD on it and sent it away, so hopefully she also trusts again that I'll handle things when she's uncomfortable.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Very nice!
If I was a dog, this is the kind of human I would like to have :lol:
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Ari_RR wrote:Very nice!
If I was a dog, this is the kind of human I would like to have :lol:
:lol: I'm happy to make up some puzzle boxes and obstacle courses for you too! You like liver and bacon, right? :wink: :lol: