Defensive aggression from Pixie...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Defensive aggression from Pixie...

Post by ScarletSci »

Hi guys. For those who don't know, Pixie is my three year old Springer/mystery breed. I can't figure out what other breeds are in there, but she ain't full Springer. Very high energy, intelligent, usually great with other dogs and people, if a little domineering over our other dog, Jack. When it comes to meeting other dogs when out on walks, Pixie is usually perfect. She's not over anxious to meet and play with others, will ignore them unless they are keen to meet or she knows them, and will come away when called. Her recall and 'leave it' is excellent. She plays nicely with other dogs, greets nicely, has been pretty perfect until recently.

Now, I'm not panicking over these two incidents, because I can see exactly why she reacted the way she did, and I blame myself for not getting her out of those situations faster. But I still wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced and knowledgable folks here. Both incidents happened this week.

Incident 1: Walking in the park, Pixie and Jack were playing fetch, so both focused on balls. A woman came in the park with a young Vizla, on lead, I took Pixie's ball away while we were a distance away, so she could meet him when we caught up with them without being focused on/protective of her ball. Vizla was about nine months, very bouncy and typical puppy rude. Pixie usually likes bouncy puppies and a chance to run with them, so I wasn't concerned. But pup was getting increasingly rude, pawing and lunging, and Pixie really snarled at him. Haven't seen her do that before.

I moved her away a bit, apologised to the lady, and we kept talking. She was asking a lot of questions about the dogs. I got distracted when Jack approached, since both mine were off lead, and Jack isn't good with other dogs, especially puppies, especially when he has a ball, so I put him on lead and told her he isn't great with meeting new dogs so I wasn't going to let him meet hers. (Jack will snarl/bark and chase off other dogs, not physically attack as such). While doing this, I'd dropped my guard with Pixie, who was still off lead, and she got closer to Vizla pup, and snapped at him this time. Her tooth left a mark on his nose! Not a cut or scratch, but a definite mark.

Now this is my fault. Had we walked on, she would have happily left the dog entirely alone and not bothered about him. But because we were standing there talking, she was nearby, and the vizlas lunging and rude antics seemed to wind her up. On a second walk later that day, we met up with someone who has two nine month old Sprockers, who greeted her politely and respectfully, and she was her usual agreeable self - although I saw she kept her head high and her tail high as they greeted, then she returned the sniffing ritual and her tail went to medium height happy wagging.

Incident 2: I wasn't there for this one, dad had taken both dogs out early in the morning to fetch his paper, the local newsagent lets dogs in and always gives them a treat. He told me a Jack Russell had come in, had snapped and Pixie, and she'd snapped right back. He said she really told him off.

Should I be worried? I think/hope it's more that Pixie has reached mature *****-hood, and won't tolerate being bullied/harrassed by other dogs. Since she was provoked in both incidents, I think she has the right to defend herself and communicate to the other dog to back off. I've seen older dogs tell off puppies the way she did. I know I should have got her away from the Vizla when she wasn't keen to stay around and after the first snarl. So just something I need to more aware of and practice situational awareness?
Nettle

Re: Defensive aggression from Pixie...

Post by Nettle »

I think you are right on the button with why these things happened and what to do in the future. No need to worry about Pixie at all. I daresay if some oik had run up to you and pushed you and looked in your face and grinned and said "stupid old bat" you might have snarked as well.

Dad needs to be on board as well, though. Just stepping between dogs and making a body-barrier can be enough to avoid a spat.

Remember - they are dogs not angels :wink: I know you were a bit shaken up but honestly, that's just dogs being dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Nettle wrote:I think you are right on the button with why these things happened and what to do in the future. No need to worry about Pixie at all. I daresay if some oik had run up to you and pushed you and looked in your face and grinned and said "stupid old bat" you might have snarked as well.

Dad needs to be on board as well, though. Just stepping between dogs and making a body-barrier can be enough to avoid a spat.

Remember - they are dogs not angels :wink: I know you were a bit shaken up but honestly, that's just dogs being dogs.
Awesome, thank you so much Nettle! I was hoping you'd see this. I don't blame Pixie at all for snarking at rude young Vizla - I might have myself if I could get away with it! :wink:

Getting dad on board will be trickier. He won't follow the rules when it comes to loose leash walking either, so I have to train her back to walking nicely on lead each time I've been away for a while. Otherwise she pulls. Dad is lovely, adores the dogs and spoils them, walks them a lot. But - he's getting on. He's 78 now, his eyesight isn't great, and he isn't one for training. He has a tendency to get distracted chatting with people he meets, or go into his own head and not pay enough attention to what the dogs are doing. Hmm. I wonder whether positive reinforcement with chocolate treats will work on him? :lol:

He's good about checking out if other dogs are safe or not - will leave if he spots a dog he knows is aggressive or badly behaved, or one he's not sure of, but he's a bit too... relaxed? Set in his ways? In his own head? I don't know. It's looking as though I'll be moving back here though, mainly for Pixie's sake since places I'm finding are miles from my folks house, and I want to be able to drop her off with them for doggy daycare while I'm at work, so might skip that and just move here. So I'll be with her and walking and training her myself more often. I'll be more alert to getting her out of situations where the dog seems okay, but too rude! I do see where I went wrong. Thank you!
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Pixie and Jack also send their thanks :D

Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh I love that grin on Jack's face. Annie does that when she wants a treat, lol.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Fundog wrote:Oh I love that grin on Jack's face. Annie does that when she wants a treat, lol.
I'd love to see photos of your guys! I don't think I have seen them. Is there a thread they're in?

That's Pixie at the front with the toothy grin, she has the mostly black face and blotchy body markings, Jack has the white muzzle and mask and flecking in his coat. People do mix them up often. I heard a little kid telling his dad as they walked past "they look the same", and dad saying "that's 'cos they're the same type of dog". :D Here he is the day before he went to the groomers, when it was a soggy morning walk! After the groomers, he came home primped and shiny and smelling beautiful!

Here's Pixie Sticks. Yes, they were both expecting treats in all of these pics! :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I posted pics years ago. They've no doubt expired or been archived or both. I will try to get around to posting new ones this weekend. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Fundog wrote:I posted pics years ago. They've no doubt expired or been archived or both. I will try to get around to posting new ones this weekend. :)
That would be great, thank you, I'd love to see them! :D Especially since I'm such a gundog fan.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Just testing to see if this worked.

Edit: Well sort of. I will try to make it bigger...

imageupload

Much better! That's Dottie, English Setter, field bred.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, still working on one of Annie. (I'm still trying to figure out this new image host) :roll:
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Fundog wrote:Image

Just testing to see if this worked.

Edit: Well sort of. I will try to make it bigger...

imageupload

Much better! That's Dottie, English Setter, field bred.
Oh wow, she's so beautiful!!! I want a Setter now!! If only Pixie wasn't such a jealous, possessive madam. She doesn't like to share me! I do love Setters though, and Dottie is particularly stunning!

ETA: I can see a little of Annie in the tiny photo, both black and white? I like the black and white dogs too, as you might have guessed from my two! I like the other colour variations as well, but a soft spot for black and white Springers/Setters/Cockers.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, well thank you so much! Yep, Mr. Fundog has become rather biased toward the English Setter now that we have Dottie, and wants another one after she crosses the Bridge, lol.

Yes, Annie is black and white (mostly black), and a lot more fluffy than the Setter, lol. I will keep experimenting with the image hosting site and try to get a bigger picture of Annie uploaded.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

free image hosting

Okay, this is Annie. Mostly Springer Spaniel, with a smidgeon of Border Collie.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Oh she's a beauty too! You must have people approaching all the time wanting to say to them and love on them!

I was going to ask if she was a Sprollie, you can really see the collie in the side on photo!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

:lol: Yes, I do get a lot of compliments when we go out. :D