How far will mouthing go?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lostsheltervolunteer

How far will mouthing go?

Post by lostsheltervolunteer »

Hi, I have always loved dogs but haven't been around too many dogs until recently, when I began volunteering at a shelter. I always knew that young and untrained dogs tend to be "mouthy" and put your skin in your mouth, but had never really experienced it myself until at the shelter. And it has surprised me just how hard some of the biting is, especially from some of the larger dogs (in which the biting is obviously going to be proportionately stronger). Obviously I've never been truly injured while there, but it can really hurt. I am just posting to ask how far some dogs will go when mouthing, and if there can be any actual injuries? I know this is proably a silly question but I just want to make sure. I love playing with the dogs, but some can get very rowdy and begin mouthing me all over and jumping on me. I just try to stand still and ignore them until they stop. Is this the right reaction? Thank you!
JudyN

Re: How far will mouthing go?

Post by JudyN »

Not a silly question at all - they can certainly bruise, and even break skin. But it's obviously something that needs to be addressed.

What worked for me and my dog was to turn away from him and face a wall/tree/fence, and ignore him till he stopped and calmed down, then treating him if he remained calm. Better, if it works for your dog (mine would be too het up to listen), is to train an alternative behaviour, such as 'sit' and ask for that instead.

In your situation, it would be best not to play 'rowdy' games that get the dogs excited - try a bit of nosework, 'guess what hand the treat is in', do some training, etc. instead, to occupy them but keep them calmer. If you're in their run you might be able simply to get up and leave if they get mouthy. But it would also be worth having a word with the other staff, as consistency is important.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009