Aggressive Herding....

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tarryndp12

Aggressive Herding....

Post by tarryndp12 »

Hey there!

I have an Australian Cattle Dog, and I know herding is his instinct. BUT when he sees a kid he sounds overly aggressive. We do not have kids, so most of the time it's when we are out and about with him. I want to be able to control this instinct, but I'm just not sure HOW. We're around kids a lot during the summer for get together's at the pool, beach days, and seeing family.For example, Rusty, my dog, was fine until the kids got out of the pool. He would bark at them aggressively to get back in. He wouldn't bite them, but he also didn't want them touch him because I think he saw this as "job." I tried "no" "stay" and I have also tried redirecting his attention with something else I want him to focus on. With warmer days approaching I am getting a little anxious about the situation. I want him to be able to enjoy himself out there with everyone, and we all still have a good time without him sounding harmful. I know if someone leaves the group he might stand in front of them or he might focus on them, and I don't mind that BUT the aggressive part of it is what I'd LOVE to get under control. We took him to training classes, but none of them address this problem nor do anything to help it in any way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Nettle

Re: Aggressive Herding....

Post by Nettle »

It would help us to help you if you would give us lots more information including what he is fed and when, what other animals and people are in your home, what exercise and training he is given, what his typical day is. We love long posts so don't be afraid of detail! :)

Meanwhile, as an overview, you have taken on an exceptionally driven herding dog and no amount of training will take that need from him. He is not loving gatherings of people because his instinct screams to him to tidy them up into a herd and then work them. You can't change this, so it is a twofold management:

Keep him safely away from those groups of people. After a good exercise session, have him safely secured behind a door, with a variety of fun things to occupy him such as stuffed kongs and safe things to chew.

Meanwhile direct his need to herd - it is a need - by finding a Treibball group and letting him herd safely. Best fun he'll ever have!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
lexisq

Re: Aggressive Herding....

Post by lexisq »

I have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs so I can definitely say that all cattle dogs have a drive to herd things though at varying degrees. However, they usually nip heels of what they are herding so that's good that Rusty isn't biting the kids.

There's a reason for the saying "A good cattle dog is a tired cattle dog." I recommend tiring him out, really exhausting him before family gatherings. See if that makes a difference in his behavior.

Australian cattle dogs also tend to excel in dog sports like agility. I can definitely say that after my pup goes to class he sleeps through the night.

Then if you don't like the job he picked, give him a new one. For example, maybe his job can be the lie down at a certain spot and watch. Practice first at home and pick a certain dog bed or dog blanket and have him practice going to the spot and staying there while you give him a lot of treats. Then add some distractions and then try it in different locations. You can take a dog bed or blanket to a park where kids are playing. Though set him up for success, so you might have to be really far away from the kids playing at first. Then have him lie down and keep giving him treats when he's at his spot. ALOT of treats! Then slowly get closer and closer over multiple trips to the park. So that way he creates a positive associate with being calm while being around kids, even if the kids are super wild.