what does this behaviour mean?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leanne & Dodger

what does this behaviour mean?

Post by Leanne & Dodger »

Hi I just would like to learn a little about what my dogs behaviour means.
Dodger is a male beagle cross English springer and is four years old.
The behaviour I would like to understand is when he meets other dogs he sometimes lowers his body slowly to the ground as he is walking towards the dog until he stops and lays flat to the ground and won't move. It looks a bit like a border collie herding sheep. He does this both on the lead and off. He will then wait there for the other dog to approach and usually spring up suddenly sometimes frightening the other dog. In most cases his tail wags like mad and if the other dog is happy its leads to some playing and chase games. In some cases I can see he looks a little uneasy and then usually walks away. In a hand full of times he has growled at the dog and nothing else, but that is very rare. In all cases the hair on his neck and back stands on end. So what is going on, many times he seems very pleased to meet a dog and play games but his hair stands on end every time and he can see several dogs on one walk and his hair still stands up with every dog he meets. I can see his behaviour makes other dogs uneasy, I just don't know what is going through his mind, is he nervous? is he getting prepared for a fight? I am confused.
mansbestfriend

Re: what does this behaviour mean?

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Stress signals can be lowering the head and lowering to the ground, walking away, sniffing and/or scratching, stopping/freezing, many many more. Pilo-erection means a high level of stress.

Dogs can have conflicting emotions, and so conflicting behaviours follow, but the main message I get from your description is stress.

This recent thread about fear and stress may help https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21621 Cheers.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The dog is uncertain about the approaching dog, so he is protecting his most vulnerable area by lying on it. As the other dog gets closer, yours makes his mind up to stand up and greet, because lying down is also not an ideal position from which to meet another dog. However he is still very uncertain and possibly does not have full social skills, or else the other dog is conveying mixed messages.

I always tell people to go somewhere without their own dog where there are lots of dogs, and watch the interactions. You get good at foretelling what will happen by watching the dogs' body language. You will also see those dogs whose owners make them feel safe, and those who haven't a clue what is going on or are too busy on their blasted social media to help their dogs.
Last edited by Nettle on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
elisa

Post by elisa »

I second that it is uncertainty/stress.

My dog does the same thing - lies down when other dogs are approaching/near and if the other dog approaches near enough she suddenly jumps up.

It is really quite annoying in that many people think that she is "waiting for the other dog and won't move as she really wants to meet them". So they come on over as I am trying to break her eye contact on the other dog and enticing her to move to the side with me. It doesn't help that she may have laid down in the middle of the street.

Of course it gets a bit confusing as she does this with strange dogs, but also with dogs she knows and tends to like seeing. So partly it is also a herding game with her. One that many other dogs don't understand. So with strange dogs the surer bet is to not let them get close especially if she is on lead. Though off lead we tend not to cross paths with strange dogs unless surprised so the situation is different.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)