Ear question

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Ear question

Post by JudyN »

That's a shame. Do they think it's unhealthy for dogs, or are they worried about the health risks for humans? Not that it makes much difference unless there's a chance of persuading them otherwise. Good luck with finding a new vet.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

No chance of convincing them. they seem to think it would be a pain with adding lots of supplements and cooking food and giving them rice and veggies and stuff. they also think its more expensive. (though while im on the DCO food ill readily argue that)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Shalista wrote:No chance of convincing them. they seem to think it would be a pain with adding lots of supplements and cooking food and giving them rice and veggies and stuff. they also think its more expensive. (though while im on the DCO food ill readily argue that)
If it helps, rice and cooking definitely not needed and as Judy said, supplements are completely optional. Cost really does depend on where you are and who you know. Personally, I'd say the biggest consideration was space - I now have 2 freezers for two dogs but it was a battle to get them and we've had to remove other furniture
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yeah all i would manage is MAYBE a small dorm fridge. I'll get a new vet and then check back here with an update =)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

High corn can actually make dogs MORE anxious, as maize inhibits serotonin uptake. I do understand it's hard for you to make a dramatic change in his food when it isn't your house or your rules, but how about researching some halfway-house dog foods and slipping him a chicken wing every now and then? There is a website called dogfoodanalysis.com which is independent and contains lots of information about different dog food so you might be able to find a better quality kibble that won't break the bank or upset his urine/bowels. Better pick days when you are home to take him out when you change over though.

A lot of dog food companies will send out samples if you ask, and explain his health issues.

RE: Ttouch - I have my wry smile on here. I'm an ITEC qualified masseuse, and I've yet to be convinced that Tt is anything other than clever marketing. A gentle massage when he is in the mood will be just as good for him. He will tell you what feels nice and what doesn't.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Doing TTouch *right* is like doing Positive Reinforcement training *right*. If you do the training right, it works. If you do it kind of correctly, it only kind of works. If you learn and understand the principles and technique/s and use it appropriately for each dog, results are more likely to be good.

I use it along with other calming techniques for my excitable Kelly dog, at the right times in the right way, and it benefits her. It doesn't seem to affect Max the GH one way or the other, but he does like a nice shoulder massage before breakfast.

How are Bax's ears looking these days?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'd be more eager to start him on something new if i knew for sure what upset his gut in the first place. :x im angry at my vet for not educating me about that but i prolly should be angry at myself for not pushing more.

And a gentle massage is well within the scope of practice as his fur mom :wink:

To be honest he's been hell lately so his ears are all perky and just FINE. Yesterday I could not get him to stop barking. My only moments of peace were when i put him in a down next to me and he sat staring expectantly for his next treat. Even worse sometimes he'd bark staring at the wall.... sometimes he'd bark staring at me, with a slight tail wag, stopping and running up the moment i tuned around. I'm becoming increasingly convinced he barks for attention and treats.

Also his jumping has gotten much worse. Everyone is sticking pretty strictly to the whole "no attention unless four on the floor and calm" but there's a lot of exasperated sighs now. I kind of thought this behavior would get worse before it got better? but its gotten A LOT worse.

SO yeah, his ears are just fine, nice and perky =)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Shalista wrote:but there's a lot of exasperated sighs now.
Is that from him, or everyone else? If from him, it may be a good sign. He might be thinking 'Well this doesn't seem to work.' It might still take a while before he realises that that may mean he might we well stop doing this. And of course then he might try doing that instead and that might not be what you want either :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Just to add to the raw feeding thought: It kind of varies a little in different regions, but here in the United States, and especially where I live, the price of beef has gone up astronomically, to the point we can't even afford it for us humans, except as a "splurge" treat once every other month. The other red meats (lamb and goat) are even more expensive. Furthermore, I'm hard pressed to find any pork that hasn't been "enhanced" with some sort of salt brine -- not good for dogs at all. This leaves just chicken and fish. That's not really adequate, I don't think. Yes, there are suppliers you can order healthy raw food from, but (again, depending on where you live) shipping costs can often cost more than the food itself, which makes it prohibitive.

Anyway, that's why my dogs, who had been raw fed for two years, had to go back on kibble. I just wanted to make Shalista, and anyone else novice to raw feeding in the United States aware of these potential obstacles so they can make a more informed decision.

As for the kibble, my Dottie has an irritable colon, so anything with grain -- corn especially, but even rice-- with cause chronic loose stools. And corn based food caused Annie to need to have her ears flushed every other day. Now they are on a sweet potato based food (Kirland's Nature's Domain from Costco) and they are both doing really well on it. So if it turns out that you absolutely cannot do raw, after all your efforts to find a way, ask your vet about a potato based food instead, and see if that will be good for Bax at all.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

And of course then he might try doing that instead and that might not be what you want either
Yes, all of this. i think he's just exasperated that what always worked in the past isn't working. so now hes doing MORE of it.

Yeah Fundog, i hadnt thought of that but thats another reason i dont think i'd be able to do it =( definitely will be talking about it alternatives with the vet