Training a Dog Stay and Release

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

TheBealge

Training a Dog Stay and Release

Post by TheBealge »

I recently adopted a 1yr and 2 month old female Australian shepherd / Rottweiler mix from the shelter. She was given up for being too active for the family as well as chewing things up. She is good on walks and sits and goes down fairly well, but I do not know how to teach her to release from her stay. When I tell her stay she stays perfectly, and when I give her the release cue, she stays. How would teach her release?
When I signed up, I typed my username in too quickly. I wanted it to be TheBeagle. :lol:
Corgies, beagles, and bassets rock! 8)
Shalista

Re: Training a Dog Stay and Release

Post by Shalista »

if you have problems releasing my trainer had us call him/say the release que and then run away backwards excitedly so he'd chase me. clapping might help to but i was a bit worried he might confuse that for the release. eventually phase out the running away to just taking a few steps back, to just saying the que.

Interesting problem to have though. wish my dog had that problem, he usually just wanders off mid stay :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Training a Dog Stay and Release

Post by Erica »

If the excited movement isn't enough, try fast-moving toys, such as a flirt pole. I use the flirt pole to build up distraction with stays and leave-its, since they're veerrryyy tempting to many dogs. :) Make sure to say the release cue clearly before you tempt the dog to break the stay.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14