The Polite way to interrupt

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

The Polite way to interrupt

Post by Shalista »

I occasionally have to interrupt Bax when he is sleeping or when he has a chew or toy he's working on. Since he tends to be fearful and a bit of a resource guarder I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

With the sleeping i usually try to sit next to him, talk to him until he looks up, and then do gentle soothing pets. Whenever possible I get up and walk away hoping he'll hop down and follow. Sometimes though I do have to pick him up and carry him to bed. Thoughts?

With the chews and toys I tend to just put the harness on while he's eating/playing and then let him carry it with him when we leave. He's always fine walking off with it and I never have to drag or pull him away. Still, would it be better to trade the item away with a quick to consume treat and then give it back to him once we're inside?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ksknight

Re: The Polite way to interrupt

Post by ksknight »

Why do you have to interrupt him when he's sleeping?

For resource guarding, if you can sometimes interrupt his playing with a toy to take it away for a moment or two, then return it, it might help him start to learn that taking it away can be a positive thing! He'll get it right back, or get a treat (which you can give if you're taking it away to end the play session). It sounds like for what you're describing, to get the toy from him before you're going out, maybe trying to teach him the drop it/let go command will help?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I would call him to you from a distance and, if he brings what he has with him, then trade it for something he can eat quickly.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I have to interrupt him sleeping because we sleep together (for therapy reasons) and he goes to bed before i do. he sacks out on the futon and then when i want to go to bed I have to wake him up. Sometimes calling him works, usually it doesn't though.

our drop it training has been spotty at best but he's usually willing to trade. I guess i'll just have to step up my game carrying treats with me all the time
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Trade usually is the best option.

Taking something away and returning it doesn't create the success we might imagine. If someone took your wallet and then gave it back, you wouldn't necessarily think, "How nice - she's given my wallet back" but more likely, "She isn't going to get another chance to take my wallet".
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ksknight

Post by ksknight »

Nettle wrote:Taking something away and returning it doesn't create the success we might imagine. If someone took your wallet and then gave it back, you wouldn't necessarily think, "How nice - she's given my wallet back" but more likely, "She isn't going to get another chance to take my wallet".
I guess it depends on the dog. It's been working with my pup, but I also throw the toy for him to chase rather than just handing it back. That might make a difference too.

I sleep with my pup for therapy too, but he's been such a light sleeper that I've never actually had to wake him... :? If there are any blankets or pillows on the futon that he sleeps on, maybe you could try nudging/moving them slightly and see if that gets him up at all.