Body Language to Communicate With Dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolineLovesDogs

Body Language to Communicate With Dogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Okay, so two of the trainers / websites I really like- How Many Dogs Blog and Sophia Yin's website- both seem to stress the importance of using our body language and gestures to make what you want clear to your dog. For example, the How Many Dogs author says that usually she doesn't use words when she wants her dogs to do something but just lets them know through her body language and gestures. Do you guys know how this would actually apply to working with your dog? I tried doing a google search but didn't really even know which search terms to use. I want to make things as clear and gentle as possible with my dog but have no clue where to start with communicating through body language- do you know of any good links, or have any ideas of your own to share? Thanks.
Nettle

Re: Body Language to Communicate With Dogs

Post by Nettle »

Because my dogs are working dogs in an environment where silence is necessary, I always train with body language, and although they know voice commands, I seldom use them. And I never even knew I was doing this until someone not from my working world pointed it out! So yes, possible, easy, and your dogs you work with understand it much better than the yak yakkity yak that so many pet owners use. A dog can't block out body language and a human can't nag with it! :D

It would take a book to describe all the things I do and when, but as an instance, think how people want a dog to get off a sofa but loom over it and actually block the space so it has nowhere to get off into - as opposed to the owner who stands upright and to one side, stretching out an arm to guide the dog off into a great big space.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

In the past Jasper and I would have disagreements on which direction we should walk in. Often I let him choose where to go but sometimes I need to overrule. I started facing away from him, at the far end of the lead, hands close together holding the lead, and waiting him out. Now, if I look at him and say 'No, we need to go home now, we're going this way, get a move on,' and even bribing him, it doesn't necessarily work but generally, all I need to do is turn away from him, put my hands close together, and he follows me instantly. It's far more effective than, say, the 'touch my palm' command I use, even though the latter has been rewarded more consistently (I often don't treat him once he has started to follow me as it's tricky to stick treats through his muzzle without losing momentum and I don't want him to grind to a halt again :lol: ).

I'm very careful not to change my mind, unless it's pretty much straight away. So I wouldn't use this, say, to make him walk past a scary dustbin lorry because in that situation I'd want him to control his proximity to the scary thing, even if it means going the long way home or waiting for ages.

I'm sure there's other times I communicate with body language or expressions that are equivalent to, e.g., 'shift your bum' or 'I'm watching you, don't you dare nick my sandwich,' but they have become so habitual I don't think about it.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Are you referring to training tricks without using words, or everyday human-dog communication?

If you say "Walk-time is at 9am", your dog might give a quizzical look. If at 9am you say "Walk time!", AND you put shoes on, pick up the leash and house keys, and walk to the front door, then your dog should understand "Walk time" fairly easily.

Our dogs observe and process our body language and behaviour (EDIT: and routines) ALL the time.
Cheers.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.