Barking Puppy

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ahurlburt

Barking Puppy

Post by ahurlburt »

Hello!

I have a 5-month-old Husky mix. She has recently discovered her voice, and barks at us demanding that we play with her/walk with her/etc. constantly. A good long walk usually helps calm her down, but not always.I have read various ways to extinguish behaviors without using punishment, but I'd like to hear some first-hand advice...

We have tried just ignoring her barking, but probably have not been as disciplined as we could have been. It's pretty difficult to not get frustrated after a while of loud barking/nipping!

I've also tried to reinforce a contradictory behavior - in this case, being quiet - but she has learned that she can trigger reinforcement by barking, and then becoming quiet when prompted.

What's the best way to deal with this? Is this just a puppy thing that we should expect to go away as she ages? Advice, please!

Alex
elisa

Re: Barking Puppy

Post by elisa »

I had huge success with time-outs. As in my dog has never barked at me (or generally much at all) since she was a puppy

I was reading a book - puppy started barking for attention - I went into the bathroom for like 5 seconds. Then I think I would return and repeat if the barking started right away, but would really stop reading the book as puppy needed attention. Personally it seems like it worked really fast. I suppose a problem could arise if she follows you and keeps barking. I think mine figured out the "I bark - she leaves" really quickly.

I did first try ignoring and praising silence, but it didn't work and I felt it was just teaching her to bark. And yes, I for one get easily frustrated about barking. I may have also generally stopped reading books for a while and concentrated on the puppy more. :D I think I managed to teach her to ask for attention by just by sitting and looking cute.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
Erica

Re: Barking Puppy

Post by Erica »

Is she getting mental stimulation otherwise? Training, or games, or puzzles? Walks are good but for a smart, active breed like a husky they won't be enough. Here's a thread with suggestions for things to do, other than walks, to entertain her.

If you don't like barking for attention, give her another way to ask for attention - poking you with her nose, or ringing a bell, or something. Sometimes dogs need attention, such as when they're feeling ill, or very bored (and you don't want a bored husky!), so giving them a polite means of letting you know that they need attention is good.

Remember that at her age, 25 minutes should be the upper limit of walk times to protect her joints. (5 minutes per month of age - so 5*5=25)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14