Train a dog to scoot?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BettyBelieveIt

Train a dog to scoot?

Post by BettyBelieveIt »

There's an issue I've been having with my roommate's dog scooting on the carpet. I asked about it in the forums not too long ago and got a lot of great advice on what could be causing him to scoot (note that my roommate had previously told me there was nothing that could be done about preventing a dog from scooting on the carpet). One of the responses I got in the forums was that it could very possibly be the dog is needing his anal glands emptied. Well... today I took my roommate's dog for a walk (because my roommate was in a rush out the door) and was surprised that when I stayed outside with the dog long enough, the dog actually scooted on the grass this time :) (I praised him for this btw). Now I'm wondering if it is possible to train a dog to scoot on command so he will be less likely to do it indoors? Has anyone else had experience with this?
:-)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

MM.. well its possible to train a dog to do a certain behaviour on command... but that wouldnt stop him doing it on the carpet as well.

Hes doing it because its itchy/sore.. and he can no more ignore htat feeling than you can ignore an awful itch, or any other natural urge.

Potentially you could train him to do it only on a certain mat.... but it would be easier and better for him to change his diet to one that empties his anal glands as he goes to the toilet.
BettyBelieveIt

Thankyou

Post by BettyBelieveIt »

Thankyou very much for your thoughts on that. This should help me to work through the problem better with my roommate.
BettyBelieveIt

P.S.

Post by BettyBelieveIt »

Also, I was wondering if you might have any dog food brand recommendations? Currently, my roommate is giving him Ceasar Petigree soft dog food + Iams hard food.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Ouch.

The Ceasar is crap. The Iams is not great.

If she won't go anywhere but the supermarket for the dog's food, Purina One is the best choice available. If you can get her to go to a pet supply store or a feed store, Canidae, Natural Balance, California Natural, and Innova are all much better foods that are reasonably priced. Blue Buffalo and Wellness are also good foods that you may find at your local pet supply store, but a bit more expensive.

Most of the companies will send you samples if you request them; you might be able to show your roommate that her dog likes a better food better, and does better on it.

Lis