Managing Dog / Dog interactions

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

Managing Dog / Dog interactions

Post by katej215 »

Hey guys,

So I guess we need to post a bit of an update at some point ...but the big news is that we took on a rescue boy about a month ago...and because the world of boys is totally new to me, so just wanted to get some advice.

So Mostyn is a young neutered male, possibly around 2 / 3 years old...breed type..not sure! I must post a pic as would love to get your opinions. We got him from a terrier rescue , but this dog does not seem to have a terrier brain at all..him and Hattie are pretty much chalk and cheese , which actually seems to be working out very well!

He seems to be very dog savvy, in that he does seem to mirror the way the other dog reacts to him...if chilled , he's chilled, play bowy and bouncy ..he's the same. We've met a couple of very big males both entire and neutered and he has appeared to be gently submissive towards them (and quite keen to walk on after a minute of sniffing). However we have had a couple of incidences where he has really shouted at another male, once with a smooth fox terrier (I was so busy chatting to the owner I didn't see what happened :oops: )..but Mostyn exploded...and the smooth was like..yeah c'mon on then! If off lead they would definitely have had a scuffle. Then there was a neutered lab which I have met a million times, the lab is really good with Hattie, never pushy or barging her, but Mostyn had a shout at him when they first had a sniff, but then seemed to chill out. Then this morning we were sitting people watching...a guy with a bichon on a extendable came by and he let the bichon wander over, who went straight in and sniffed Mostyn's privates, then went round to his bum..Mostyn was standing still but as soon as the bichon went round the back of him he shouted at it...but then as the dog jumped away he immediately looked chilled again...

The other thing to mention is that when we are walking along and see a dog approaching he stops dead and often goes into a low crouch...he's happy to watch dogs go by or have a quick sniff hello. We have met a lot of dogs without problem and of course I am putting him on lead as soon as I see another dog...he has had a couple of off leads in managed situations which have gone well and he has recalled away beautifully each time. I guess what worries me is that I haven't been able to read these problem situations in advance with him like I can with Hattie, so wondering whether there are any 'rules' I need to be aware of with male /male interactions. :D
JudyN

Re: Managing Dog / Dog interactions

Post by JudyN »

I'm not at all an expert on dog/dog interactions, but I reckon it's good that Mostyn can have a snark at another dog and then leave it at that. It's something I've seen more and more in Jasper where previously he would want to wipe a young unneutered male from the surface of the planet but now he might say, effectively, 'I'm the big boy round here, mate - got that?' and leave it at that (he won't try it on with dogs who are likely to respond with 'Oh yeah, you and whose army, MATE!').

The reactions happen so swiftly that they are very hard to spot. It's as if one moment they think they may be fine with each other and then one will maybe just stiffen, turn a head, whisper a rude word in the other's ear, and BANG! :lol:

I don't know where the balance is between avoiding all interactions and allowing the possibility of good interactions - and when you allow interactions when there's a dog Mostyn might dislike (or rather be anxious about), he might sense that you're slightly tense as you're trying to watch for signs of trouble. But it's very early days for him so I would say for now, don't let other male dogs approach him at all (unless you know it's a dog he gets on with) but treat him when they are in sight. When he learns that he doesn't have to worry about other dogs approaching and sniffing his privates he should gradually relax in their presence and hopefully that will pave the way to him feeling more confident.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great advice.

And to expand on one part - be more alert and pro-active, and do not let any dog approach him, get into his space and sniff him. Especially one on an extending lead. He needs to trust you to be his protector and deal with things so he doesn't have to.

He sounds a very well-adjusted chap :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
katej215

Post by katej215 »

thanks for the advice guys :D I guess I am super protective and aware with Hattie because she's so little, not keen on bouncy bigger dogs and would not be comfortable with the majority of dog interactions...I guess because he's bigger and more confident than her i thought i needed different rules...actually from what you've both said, same rules apply for both dogs :D