Food Aggressive Toward Animals

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dee_Marie

Food Aggressive Toward Animals

Post by Dee_Marie »

Hi, I have a two year old American BulldogX, Piper who is showing food aggression toward other animals. My 9 year old Border Collie/Lab, Missy is the same way, but is at a lower level than Piper. Piper is at the point that she's redirecting the growling at the person who is telling her to move. Personally, I will step in front of her to get her attention and snap my fingers telling her to go. I'm careful not to physically try and move her, not only does she not like that, but well she's growling. She will reluctantly move, but still growls.
Major concerns
1. small children are often in the house
2. I have a 14 week old Kitten who she growls at over food
3. My dog Missy is also guarding food, this can cause a fight.

Some back ground.
I've had Piper since she was four months old and noticed she was getting aggressive with food concerning other animal she was maybe 9 10 months old. I've had Missy since she was 6 months old. Can't really pinpoint when the guarding started. Missy and Piper have never been in a fight and I want to put a stop to this before they do.
I'm 20 and live with my parents, and 3 brothers ages 23, 13, and 19. We were all raised that hitting is for disciplining. If you don't hit the dog for behaving incorrectly they won't learn. Well after becoming interested in dogs I started educating myself and found Positive reinforcement at about 13 years old. My brothers just followed by lead the oldest being the worst with the dogs. My mom has somewhat came a long. Anyway I"m telling you this because they hit her when she gets in the garbage, on counter or is growling over food. Yes, I know the last thing you do is punish a dog for growling. Well in there mind the more she growls the harder they hit, and more mean they are. I mean how dare a dog warn them that she doesn't like what they're doing.
Please help as you can see my family won't be on board. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions ask away.
Nettle

Re: Food Aggressive Toward Animals

Post by Nettle »

Hello and welcome. Well done for knowing that attacking a dog that is doing what you don't want is wrong, and for coming here :)

When you live in someone else's house by someone else's rules it is very difficult, and even more difficult to change an entrenched mindset. So what you are able to do will be limited, but what you will learn for a future dog when you have your own home will be invaluable.

Food guarding is normal. I bet if you swiped a slice of pizza off a brother's plate, they'd take a swing at you. So your dog is not bad, awful or anything else - just a normal dog.

So rather than 'stopping' a dog food-guarding, ideally you remove the need to guard it. Which means removing the dog/food interface :wink: When the dogs are fed, they should each have private space to eat in where they do not fear their food being taken. Feed the kitten high up and away from the dogs. If children come round, see that the dogs are shut safely away from them if they run about with food in their hands. Baby gates and dog-proof garbage bins are all available if your family wishes to commit to helping this dog. Ideally dogs don't have access to kitchen, garbage, food left out etc. and as I write this I can see you :roll: because that is just impossible where you are.

So as damage limitation, do what you can without causing family uproar, and meanwhile commit to taking your dog for walks and playing mind-stimulating games with her (check out our 'Exercise the Mind' pinned thread). This will give her confidence in her relationship with you, bring some stimulus and pleasure into her life, and tire her pleasantly. The more a dog has to do, the less it gets fretful over what is happening in the home. Walks don't have to be long but they do have to be interesting, so you concentrate on finding her places she can sniff, and watch her body language - she will start to communicate with you in ways you never dreamt were possible. No phone calls or listening to music or any other screen stuff - walks are between you and your dog.

I'll stop for now and let you absorb this. Others will be along soon to add their help.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS