Puppy behaviour towards strangers

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo

Puppy behaviour towards strangers

Post by Theo »

Hello all :-)

My little westie pup who is 3,5 almost 4 months now goes berserk with joy at every stranger who visits the house(not just strangers, everybody, relatives, friends, strangers, all). I don't take her out for walks yet (only 10 more days for that :-) can't wait) but whenever some person doing a delivery or the postman or just yesterday the plumber comes to our door she scoots outside like a rocket and goes berserk with joy jumping on them kissing them if they pick her up etc.

My instict is to feel very happy that she is not afraid of people and is sociable and to this day I always thought this as a plus in the little devil's behaviour. However, my uncle made a comment about this not being good (not to me to my grandma and she told me). Is there any reason I should worry about this behaviour? The only bad thing I can see is that if some malicious person tries to steal her she will go with him with no fuss? Anyways I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

I should say I am not planning to train my Kelta as a guard dog, she is a companion, a friend a member of the family and that is all I ever want her to be.

Thank you for your time
best
Theo
Dibbythedog

Re: Puppy behaviour towards strangers

Post by Dibbythedog »

I would be pleased to have a puppy that is so friendly. :) The only thing you have to be careful about is her jumping up at people. It might be a problem when she is bigger.
delladooo

Re: Puppy behaviour towards strangers

Post by delladooo »

As a westie, she's not going to get so big that she's likely to knock everyone over but it would be better for her to show some restraint just because not all visitors are going to be as enthusiastic to greet her and rushing at the door can be a safety hazard. It's definitely a good thing that she's friendly but self control is an important feature in dogs' lives and it will, partly, come as she ages but you will have to encourage her to be more calm for her to get the hang on it :D plus, the self control is a general skill that extends to other things such as holding a position given and not tearing off after every dog she spots so is something you should be fostering in her :mrgreen: