Puppy Help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChelseaandReina

Puppy Help!

Post by ChelseaandReina »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and have read almost everything pertaining to my question but haven't really found any answers, so please be patient if this has already been addressed somewhere earlier.

A little background: I adopted my puppy Reina from a shelter when she was 9 weeks old (she's now 19 weeks). They think she's an Australian Shepherd/hound mix of some sort but they aren't 100% certain. Three days after adopting her, she was diagnosed with Parvo, and completely cured within a week after that. However, due to her diagnosis, they told me to keep her isolated for two to three weeks after so as not to spread Parvo to any other puppies. That being said, she didn't really start socializing until she was close to 13 weeks old- I didn't want to take any chances, because Parvo was scary! All in all, she is very well behaved, gets plenty of exercise, knows basic commands, likes her kennel at night, and has a healthy appetite. She loves humans of all kinds (young,old, wheelchairs, anything!) and does well with older dogs.

However, with a few other puppies, she has some behavior issues. When she gets tired of playing, she gives the usual progression of cues to stop the play, and eventually it seems like escalated play aggression. She snarls and snaps, and tries to bite the other puppy until it stops playing. It seems to me to be between play aggression and true aggression. Again, this only happens with certain other dogs, in situations where she is tired, or forced to be the submissive one in play all the time. My worry is that this will eventually turn into real aggression, which is not acceptable. I would love advice! Should I remove her from the situation before it gets to that point? Should I let her get to that level so she learns to be more assertive, or so the other dog learns to stop? How do I handle the situations in the future from becoming real aggression?

The other issue we are having also concerns play. She thinks that by barking excessively, she can get anyone and anything to play with her. Is there a safe, positive way to curb the barking when it gets out of control, or better yet before that point of escalation?

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate any advice or tips you have!
Chelsea
Dibbythedog

Re: Puppy Help!

Post by Dibbythedog »

Well done for adopting a rescue puppy :)

Reina sounds a well rounded puppy.
She has given cues when she has had enough and they are ignored by the other pups so her resorting to "aggression" is normal behaviour. Step in before she gets tired and step in when she is being forced into being the submissive one . Play should be balanced and pups learn to take it in turns . It sounds to me that the other pups are learning to be bullies so definitely interupt play when this happens.

Her barking , dogs learn by consequences and by what works and she has learnt that barking works! You can leave the room immediately if she barks at you or if you are out on a walk and she barks at other dogs , you can quickly turn and walk her away.

I have taught that my dogs "all gone" and a shrug means they are not getting a treat or attention at that moment and they dont bother to bark or pester.
ChelseaandReina

Post by ChelseaandReina »

Thanks Dibbythedog! I appreciate it. We have another play date with a pup tomorrow so I will try to step in earlier so it doesn't escalate to that point.

Ive also been ignoring her barking and it seems to be working- she pouts and walks away when she doesn't get the attention. Thank you so much!

Will keep you updated on our progress.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

good luck !

Some breeds of dogs do play rough with each other , I have Jack Russels that look and sound like they are really fighting but they will break off and start sniffing around ( a calming signal ) when things get too rough . I have broken up play when one gets too rough , but if the one that looked to be the underdog comes back for more I let them continue.
Dominika

Post by Dominika »

Hi there.

Sorry for jumping in on your thread but it conveniently answers part of what I wanted to ask, I hope you don't mind.

My friend has a 5 month old puppy who has been taken away from his litter at 7 weeks. He loooooooves dogs because he has been until a few weeks ago spending most of his time with my friend's parents dog.

So the issue I'm having (I'm the trainer apprentice helping them being him up :-)) is that he won't leave other dogs alone despite the dogs snapping/snarling/growling at him. I've started using time out for him when he starts trying to play and other dogs are not into it. He is a very very persistant pup.

Does anyone have any other ideas or scenarios I could utilise please? Will be very much appreciated. I'm a very patient person but I'm having to work really hard with this one!!

Thanks
Dominika
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Instead of a time out try just distracting him with other things. My boy was like this and I thought it would never improve but by working on self control exercises and training in the presence of other dogs he's got much better. Start easy - far away and things he knows - and build him up, he'll get there but it does take time :)