Whining when out of routine

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

james79

Whining when out of routine

Post by james79 »

Hi everyone,

I haven't commented in a while because Murphy has been doing really, really well (like he's not even the same dog well). So now we are working on some of his more minor/annoying habits. Lately when we do something that isn't one of our normal routines he's started whining. I know it's because he's unsure about what is going on and most of the time it's when we are in the car. He's fine if he knows where we are going (for example when we are coming home from our training class on the weekends). He'll lay down and go to sleep for the most part (especially as soon as we get on the highway). We go away often on the weekends, the normal routine is for my OH to leave with him and then they pick me up on the way. If we do this he's totally fine, but a couple of weeks ago we left in the morning so I was in the car. He whined for the first half hour until we stopped to get gas and I took him for a walk around the gas station. We got back in the car and from there on he was totally fine. The whining is obviously annoying but it can also be confused with his "i have a potty emergency" whine.

Any tips for getting him to chill out anytime we are in the car? Should we start taking him with us more often (for example there are days my OH drops me off at work and then goes and works from home)? We always have treats with us and he will lie down for a treat. As a reminder he's a cattle dog/border collie mix.
doglover4ever

Re: Whining when out of routine

Post by doglover4ever »

Hi

I am not an expert but my husband is a dog groomer and he has one client (she's elderly) who cant walk very well but owns a bichon Frise and he (the bichon) is very scared of the car as he never goes in one except for when my husband will pick him up to take him to the salon to get clipped. my husband dose not have a van like most groomers as he will only do a pick up and delivery service for those who are in need like this client and the first time he picked Dougie up he was whining in the car as well as it was the first time he had ever gone in a car and before he dropped him off he had blacked out all the windows at the back so Dougie could not see the outside world or other dogs. he also put a blanket down and Dougie settled down really well and did not wine at all.

you could try this.

good luck :)