Dog Barks at Other Dogs During Walk

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

TheBealge

Dog Barks at Other Dogs During Walk

Post by TheBealge »

HI, my dog's name is Remi and is a 5 year old beagle/ jack russell/ basset hound mix which we got from a foster home based rescue organization. Remi's past life is mostly unknown as he was a stray and he may have spent some time in a shelter. We got Remi when he was 2-3. Remi knows sit, stay, come, down, and a bunch of cool tricks, however he has a hard time focusing in distracting places. Remi is fixed, but he was fixed late. He has never bitten a live animal or human before, but he does bark. Speaking of barking when ever Remi is on a walk he barks at other dogs who are walking, but never dogs in their yards. I do not think it is aggression when he barks on walks cause he is wagging his tail and also whining as he barks. Also, if he finally meets the other dog, he greets it in the respectful body curve, with wagging tail and all. Is there any way that I could fix his barking on walks? P.S. I am pr.etty sure he is barking cause he wants to greet the other dogs. Once he greets the other dog he ignores them while the other dog wants to play
When I signed up, I typed my username in too quickly. I wanted it to be TheBeagle. :lol:
Corgies, beagles, and bassets rock! 8)
Nettle

Re: Dog Barks at Other Dogs During Walk

Post by Nettle »

You have a cross between two pack hounds and a terrier. Pack hounds are bred to bay (bark deeply) all the while they are working - for hours if necessary. Terriers are bred to bark all the while they are working - for hours if necessary. Those are the genetics you are fighting, so it is important not to set unrealistic goals.

It is likely that he is barking as a communication to the other dogs "Hi, I'm Remi". If he simply barks and is not lunging at them or otherwise causing you grief, you might as well live with the bark, because it does no harm and is very much a part of his inborn nature. What you can do is limit the number of barks by teaching him (for instance) four barks and then stop. If this suits, let us know and we'll tell you how, but if there is more to the issue, let us know and we'll expand the remit. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

I think you understand your dog pretty well . It sounds like he is barking from excitement and maybe frustration as he wants to meet the other dogs.
TheBealge

Post by TheBealge »

Four barks would be grate! Thanks for the answers! :D
When I signed up, I typed my username in too quickly. I wanted it to be TheBeagle. :lol:
Corgies, beagles, and bassets rock! 8)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You teach four barks (or however many) at home before you take it outside :) You need a command to start barking e.g. 'speak' and one to stop barking e.g. 'shush'. You can use any words at all as long as they don't sound like each other, and are short.

Have your dog on a short lead, and in your other hand have a toy or a treat that you know he will want. In your pouch or pocket, have lots of very yummy treats - proper smelly treats like cheese or sausage. This is no time for kibble! :lol:

Show your dog the toy/treat but do not give it to him. Wait until he makes a noise (any noise), immediately say 'speak' (or whatever) give him a treat as soon as he is quiet again, saying 'shush' at the same time. So whether it is woof or woofwoofwooofwooof, he does not get the treat until he is quiet and you have said 'shush'. He will experiment with woofs until he achieves four woofs and immediately you give him a whole jackpot of treats. This will take some time - train for a few minutes at a time and don't try do achieve four woofs all in one day. Some dogs catch on quickly: some don't. This brings under control the following: he wants, he says, he shushes, you reward. Any time he barks at home, give him four and say 'shush'.

Out walking, proof this without other dogs or exciting things being there. Now you phase out the 'speak' command.

When you see other dogs (you are taller and will see them first):

Assess if you want to meet them. Not if he wants to - if YOU want to. If no, take him far enough away that he does not react. You can go back, go to the side, hide behind something. All dogs have a reaction distance which varies with the dog and the day. If he barks, you were too close, so get him further away, but 'shush' after four at the same time.

If it is okay to meet, he can only meet after he is quiet. So he can bark for four, then be quiet on 'shush' and meet (that is the reward). If he barks more than four or ignores your 'shush' (and he will to begin with) take him away until he is quiet, then go up to the other dog again, if he makes a noise he goes back a distance, and as soon as he is quiet they can meet. You will probably do quite a bit of to-and fro-ing to begin with. You might want to set up some meetings with friends to start with. No more than one dog and no more than one meeting on a walk to begin with.

Although dogs can't count, they are good at rhythm, so 1-2-3-4 barks followed by shush and a reward seems to come fairly easily to them.

There are other ways to do this, so someone else might add to this thread with alternatives - then you can choose which to do.

If you want advice on the lunging, let us know.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS