Aggression towards another resident dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

doyle78

Aggression towards another resident dog

Post by doyle78 »

Hi, I have three staffies and a JRT, their ages go like this; Staffie 12, Staffie 7, JRT 3, Staffie 2. They are all female, spayed and in good health.

I am at the end of my rope with the two youngest. Every time they are together in the house they fight, but when out walking, they are the best of friends. The JRT came to us when she was 6 weeks old and was basically raised by the two older Staffies, but they never "put her in her place" when she would hang out of them. Then the youngest Staffie came along about a year ago from a bad situation. She was quite reactive to dog aggression, and used to cower when a human raised their voice. Thankfully she has become much more comfortable around people and most other dogs, but for whatever reason, the JRT continues to start fights with her.

I plan to start jogging in order to improve my own fitness and I will being them along in the hope that they will be too tired to fight, but as far as being at home goes, I have decided to muzzle them when they are around each other. This is obviously a last resort, and I would be very grateful of any advice that might help.

Thanks for reading.
Dibbythedog

Re: Aggression towards another resident dog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Could you explain a bit more about the fighting . How do they start , are they fighting over anything in particular ? have they been hurt , any bites?
Are you sure it isnt rough play fighting?
i have a JRT and chi and they fight very roughly and noisily but it is play .
doyle78

Post by doyle78 »

They haven't been fighting over anything at all, it's just that the JRT runs at the Staffie who gets a hold of her and pins her. They have both had a couple of tooth marks but the JRT has come off worst. The most recent fight happened when the JRT ran across the room, grabbed the Staffie, who grabbed her right back but by the face. The JRT ended up with a very swollen muzzle and a split lip.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

This can be tricky because they are both bitches and also their ages, they are socially maturing and that can change the relationship between the two.

It would be worth consulting a qualified behaviourist , if you are on the UK you can find one on these lists -

Find an ASAB Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourist (CCAB) - visit: www.asab.org

Find an APBC behaviourist - visit: www.apbc.org.uk
doyle78

Post by doyle78 »

Thanks for the input, that's next on the list alright.
Noodle0

Post by Noodle0 »

I completely feel your pain. I have two female rescues and about the time the younger one was 18 months - 2 years, there was major aggression issues. It's a "coming of age" thing and the beginning of trying to establish "ranK" between them. I ended up having to consult a behaviorist (who I found through the site) and it saved my sanity. She gave me great strategies to help me reestablish myself as the leader and show them they are "equals" in the house. Little terriers can be quite territorial, aggressive, playful, and downright "bitches" - it's just who they are - especially JRT :) Don't underestimate the level of aggression b/c it will continue to increase with time if certain parameters are not put in place. Sadly, my trainer told me that interhousehold aggression between females CAN be the most difficult to curb. The longer it's allowed, the harder it is to stop. I can tell you that while mine aren't "at" each other anymore and actually seem to like each other most days, I will never, ever put my guard down with them. I've learned to read body language from my terrier mix (she's the instigator) and am able to redirect behaviors before they escalate. I wish you luck - sounds like you're already on your way to finding a solution!