My dog bit my child HELP!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AJDoyle55

My dog bit my child HELP!

Post by AJDoyle55 »

I am reaching out to my fellow dog lovers because I am in serious need of some advice.

I have 10 year old Siberian husky named Ace. My husband and I got him as a pup and we have loved him to the moon and back.
A few years ago he began becoming aggressive with people who came into our yard. He actually bit 3 different people within a 2 year time span. I should note here that we have an association who cares for our lawn and plants so we were unaware if someone was scheduled to be walking around weeding, mowing or doing various chores and that’s the reason he was able to get a hold of 3 different people.

He never showed aggression beyond that and certainly not with family or friends so we thought it was a territorial thing. Then about 6 months ago, unprovoked he snapped at my 2 year old nephew leaving a tiny mark on his cheek. At that time we decided to keep him away from family gatherings and young children.

Well we recently had a baby of our own, naturally we have been more than cautious but Ace seemed to have adapted to her well, loving her, playing with her and tolerating all manner of collar pulling and petting. Then the bomb dropped, just the other day our daughter was sitting next to the dog who way laying on the floor, she reached over and grabbed his collar and little fur. He lifted his lip at her as if to warn her so I called his name and started towards them I was only a foot away when she gave his collar another tug and that’s when he did it. He turned his head and bit her in the face. He left a scrap along her temple from his front teeth I assume and two long dark scratches going down her nose and left eye. There was also a tiny little puncture on her cheek. Thank god the wounds are superficial and she will be okay. I don’t think anything will scar and he obviously could have hurt her worse but it was the scariest moment of my life so far and I am COMPLETELY lost on what my next step is going to be. The worst part about this is the guilt I feel…… I should have known better I should have never put them in this position, in a position where she could be hurt. I’m the parent I should have kept them both safe.
I’m reaching out to all of you for advice as my family and I are too emotionally affected by this to make the very best decision.

I’m struggling because as I see it our options are few.

1. We try to rehome a dog with a proven bite history……. Who will take such a dog? If they do I will worry about him day and night wondering if he is being cared for.
2. We muzzle him at home and keep him away from the baby. What kind of life is that for a free spirited energetic husky
3. We euthanize him……. This thought makes me physically ILL and I don’t know that I am capable of that.

I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this and I would love any and all advice. Thank you
Erica

Re: My dog bit my child HELP!

Post by Erica »

I won't offer any training advice - I'm not all that experienced with human aggression - but for now, definitely keep them separated. X-pens for Ace or playpens for the baby, baby gates to separate rooms and still keep an eye on everyone.

I'll also put some resources here that may help you:
Quick video on dog body language
Understanding body language can help you know when your dog is feeling uncomfortable. I haven't reviewed the whole site but from what I've seen the advice offered seems pretty good on it.

A more specific body language vid

Victoria gives tips on preventing dog bites

I'm sure there will be someone with more knowledge along soon, but this may get you started.

The good thing is that it sounds like Ace was not intending to hurt your baby. With the jaws of a dog - especially a large breed like a Sibe - it is easier to bite hard and destructively than to leave only scratches on a baby's delicate skin. He showed a great amount of restraint. This doesn't mean there's nothing to worry about - but he didn't want to hurt the child.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. So sorry that your baby was bitten.

It sounds from your post like you have a fairly normal dog, and a fairly normal toddler(?). Safety of both are important.

I think you've answered your question. If baby is too young to start teaching her safe human-dog interactions, keep them safely separated. Possibly muzzle the dog or otherwise manage at least until baby (and everyone) understands to respect the dog's personal space (and especially within bite range!). A vet visit to check the dog for pain or other contributing medical issue would be wise IMO.

Maybe google something like " why dogs bite children ". Could yard workers phone/inform you before they enter the yard?

Could you list your 10YO Husky's typical daily activities like exercise, mental stimulation, activities and training, food, undisturbed sleep and rest times, etc.? :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You've had some good advice and I will second this, you must keep them separated, using crates, baby gates (one above the other if necessary), play pen for the toddler even...

Ace is not a bad dog and, this won't be comfortable to hear... he's been super tolerant for a long time with your daughter, but no one has really been listening to how HE feels about things like being petted, having his collar pulled on etc etc.

There will have been body language you have missed, him getting up and moving away, him turning his head away, him doing tiny little freeze-stare 'looks'... these things are SO easy to miss when you are busy and have a child to watch - a good friend of mine was horrified when I pointed out what her 1 year old Labrador was 'saying' about her 9 year old daughters behaviour! He was getting up and moving away, he likes the child and hes a generally easy going dog so he'd go and lay near the child but she was misinterpreting this as 'now i want you to lie on me and cuddle me' when it didn't mean that at all! He was turning his head away from her and trying to get away from her and until I pointed it out, she saw none of it.

So, your dog has actually been saying for probably as long as the baby has been crawling or toddling, 'I don't actually like this petting/collar tugging/stuff the small person does'... and no one listened, so he tries to warn her off with his lip curl, and she tugs his collar AGAIN because shes a baby and she doesn't understand she was just told NO in dog language... so he nips her face (because its near his head level and thats what he'd do to another dog!)

SO - separate them in a way that he is still a part of the family, he can see whats going on but he's not in the room with the child. If you are doing NOTHING ELSE but supervising them and he WANTS to be i the room, that would be ok, he didn't bite her for no reason, he had a clear and very obvious reason - but htat would mean you supervising the two of them and not doing anything else at the same time...

I would also be teaching the dog useful behaviours like going to his bed or crate on cue, how to back up on cue, leave the room on cue, so that you have greater control over him, and make all those things SUPER rewarding (often these are the cues dogs learn to associate with being in trouble which is not helpful at all!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
AJDoyle55

Post by AJDoyle55 »

Thank you to all who have taken the time to read this and especially to those who have responded......

Because of his history, our daughter in the home and the number of children that run through our yard unanounced we have decided to re- home our beloved Siberian. This decision was only made possible by the fact that my grandparents whom Ace knows well and loves have offered and are excited to have Ace live with them. He will now have 2 acres to run and his very own swimming pool! This is the best possible outcome for us as he will get to live out his golden years with those who love him, without being pestered by children and the best part is he will only be 5 minutes away from us so we can see him as often as we want.

This really was one of the hardest decisions we have had to make but it was so imortant to us that he is able to live his life as the free spirit that he is and I just couldn't deny him the best possible life because I will miss him every single day that Im not visiting.

He wont even have to change vets as our family friend is his doc and she lives next door to my grandparents!

We are very blessed and so happy that he will be safe, healthy and loved.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm so glad this has worked out for you and for Ace :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

That sounds like a great solution :) Just remember to follow Emmabeth's suggestions when you take your daughter to go visit! :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think this is the best option all round really, its horrible to have to make a choice like that but you can't ask him to be younger and more tolerant than he is, and you can't ask your child to grow up over night and not be a small child!

Sounds like hes going to have a fab 'retirement' and staying in the family is excellent news :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant