Need to train her to stay off wheelchair - Advice please

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jent

Need to train her to stay off wheelchair - Advice please

Post by jent »

Hi, advice gratefully received!

Lola is 18 weeks and doing brilliantly with positive training and also whistle training, she is beautifully natured. My son is 12 and has learning and physical disabilities and he is good with the puppy. We have one little issue though which I'm hoping someone can advise on.

My son uses a special chair indoors which has a baseboard on which Lola likes to sit. Very cute, as she seems to like being under my son. However my son is very sensory seeking and whenever he feels anything by his feet he pushes against it and he's very strong, which means he will kick Lola. Most of the time she takes it well but, understandably she will have a nibble of his toes now and again in retaliation.

We can't physically stop Lola getting on the chair (i.e. barricade) and we can't teach my son not to kick (due to his level of understanding and his natural urge to push against things).

We're trying to teach Lola not to go on the chair when my son is sitting in it. She will respond to "off" about 80% of the time and if we catch her getting on she will usually respond to a distraction. But none of these seem to stop her wanting to get straight back on.

For her wellbeing and my son's toes we really need to keep her off the chair!

What do we do?

Thanks a bunch,

Jenny
jent

Re: Need to train her to stay off wheelchair - Advice please

Post by jent »

I think I've answered this for myself!!

This morning I got Lola to come to stay on teh floor beside me as I fed my son, so next tothe chair instead of under it. I fed her the ocassional treat (she is very food motivated) and if she started to wander I caller her back to the same spot straightaway. I reminder her the stay cue now and again. She did amazingly and even stayed as I get something from the freezer and got my son down from his chair.

I think with a bit of work we have the solution!!

Bingo!
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Brilliant. Well done you !

I hope you will keep us updated on Lola's progress. :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Well done! :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009