How should I approach this?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jennageit

How should I approach this?

Post by jennageit »

Hi Guys,

Last time you heard from me we were getting evicted, I was in a wheelchair and our world had been turned upside down.
Just a quick update for you all.
1. I'm still in a wheelchair, but now have an appointment with a neurosurgeon, so feeling more hopeful these days that someone can do something for my back.
2. We're still being evicted, but in the next couple of days we are moving into a rental property where the owner is allowing me to keep my dogs, so long as if they are inside, they stay off the carpet and are crated when we aren't around. (I can live with that as it is the norm in our house anyway).
3. We no-longer have our dear sweet Pippa. Sadly, her tumor started causing her pain so I had her put to sleep. It was inoperable and her quality of life wasn't what it should have been. People have had a go at me for having her put her down when she was obviously having good days still, but I didn't want her last moments to be one of misery and pain. She has given so much in the last 9 years to our family, the least I could do was make sure her last memories where the best. (She was eating a Cheeseburger from McDonalds and snacking on soft serve ice-cream with chocolate topping and chocolate sprinkles just before she took the long sleep. Her tail was wagging as much as it could and she almost had a smile on her face).
4. My two Border Collies are starting to get on quite well. We've been through another season with Peppa and she appears to have matured with it. She's booked in to be desexed on the 5th April, so that was her last. I don't see the point in breeding dogs (something I did for many years in the show world) when there isn't a need. My dogs are now pets, so it isn't as if I needed to breed another sheepdog. If the time comes that I need another sheepdog then I'll find one.
5. Both of my dogs are going particularly well on lead around home, and this is where my question comes in.

My male is fantastic to walk. He's happy to meet and greet other people (especially kids he can con a pat out of) and other dogs. He's very sociable and has good manners.
My girl has lived a sheltered life and hasn't really left the property. She's a grumbler. Always has something to say about anyone who comes to the door. Even when they are in and patting her, she's got to voice her opinion. She has never raised a lip to anyone, and although I doubt she would bite, she's a dog with teeth so the option is always there.

Where we are moving to is very quiet during the day, but it is right behind a Primary and High School, so will be busy and chaotic during drop off and pick up times.

I'm hoping to be able to give my dogs exercise by walking them (now they are both used to being walked from the wheelchair), but my question is this:

Do I take them one at a time, or should I use the placidness and calmness of the male to boost the confidence of the female and show her that the world is a good place? My dog is not reactive on lead and obeys my commands like no other dog I've ever owned. His sole purpose (it seems) is to stay with mum and do what she wants, along with the occasional sniff and pat from anyone offering. If another dog barks at him, he'll look at it, look to me for a cue and if I say "leave", then he just waits for the next command. My girl, however, is likely to either bark back, try to jump in my lap, or hide behind the wheelchair.

What do you suggest?
One at a time for short walks, or both together to boost the girls confidence?

I'm open to suggestions, and haven't done anything as yet because we haven't moved and I don't want to get it wrong.

I look forward to hearing back from someone, and take care guys.

Jenna
Kids, dogs, family, writing, coffee and chocolate. What more is there in life?
Oh yeah, updating my blog daily, there's always that too!
delladooo

Re: How should I approach this?

Post by delladooo »

I have no real advice for you I'm afraid as I'm not sure of the best solution but I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss over Pippa and no one should try and make you feel guilty for the decision you've made. I'm sure she would have had more good days left in her but you have to make a decision between if the good days are going to make up for the bad days and that's only a decision you can make knowing you dog. You did what you felt was best for her and yourselves and that's the best anyone can do.

Good luck with moving and I'm sure someone will be along to offer some practical advice on your borders soon