Non-Stop barking when i leave home for a few hours

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lmsherrick

Non-Stop barking when i leave home for a few hours

Post by lmsherrick »

I just adopted a two year old Doberman and its only been one week since I've had him. I have only left him by himself three times, the other times, my mom has been around. The third time he was by himself, my neighbor called me on my cell phone to tell me my dog (King) had been barking non-stop for two hours. He gets a lot of exercise and has toys to play with, but I'm wondering if he may be suffering from anxiety or has the begining signs of seperation anxiety. What do I need to do? thanks!
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

It sounds like seperation anxioty sorry for the mis spell. Victoria did a show on this a while back, it can be trained out but takes time and effort.

you might want to do some reading of her book on this.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
loza123

Post by loza123 »

Yer to the above i also think its separation anxiety it is hard to treat as it happens when your not there.But there was a dog who suffered from separation anxiety on IMOTD a lab cross.

There owners did it in steps first, they would just walk out of the door and come straight back in about 7 or more times.Then they would get everything on as though they were going, to go out key,coat,bag ect then walk to the door and come and sit back down again and they also, did this a number of times so the dog did not come stressed, about you getting there coats on as they were not going anywere. After that they put there coats on go outside, wait about 10 seconds and come back in and slowly build up the time. If your dog comes to give you attention just ignore him. That way your not making him get excited about you coming in and then making him bark more when you go out as he wants to see you. Get me?