Multiple Dog Homes

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolineLovesDogs

Multiple Dog Homes

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

When it comes to multiple dog homes, there is a lot of disagreement out there. Some people say dogs should never be left unattended together so while they are home alone they should always be confined separately. These people say that there is always a risk- however small- that dogs will fight and injure each other and ruin their relationship and that it is better to be safe than sorry, and they talk about dogs who seemed to be good friends but then one day got into a huge fight while home alone.
Other people say that you just have to know your dogs and that most dogs can safely be left out together. What do you think? Do you think its always best to separate, or are you on the other side of the argument? Thanks.
bendog

Re: Multiple Dog Homes

Post by bendog »

4 dogs (2 dogs, 2 bitches)

the bitches have fought a few times over resources including bed/sofa so are not left together, both dogs fine together and fine with either of the bitches

Of course there is always a slight risk with any dogs, but just comes down to knowing your dogs in my opinion. I know it is unlikely that my boys will get involved in a major fight with either girl or with each other, because both are pretty quick to back down if threatened/bullied.

I usually split them up if leaving food toys down just to be on safe side as youngest ***** is a food guarder and will also bully the boys into giving up their food. They don't retaliate but not fair on them to get intimidated.
Nettle

Re: Multiple Dog Homes

Post by Nettle »

It's all about knowing your dogs, but, bluntly - how many people really know their dogs? Listen to them, watch them, pick up the tiny nuances of body language that mean dynamics are changing, realise the differences made by changes in food or exercise, surgery or seasons? Precious few. Therefore professionals like me err on the side of the angels and say 'separate'. No dog ever got killed by being separated from another. Plenty get killed through not.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS