training tilly

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

training tilly

Post by meggit »

i followed lots and lots and lots of advice on here for training buddy and i have a fairly well behaved dog he has his moments when hes just plain stubborn and refuses to do whats asked but thats normally when its just pointless repetition of what he knows or the smell in the long grass is much nicer than the treat he might or might not get, but training tilly is going to be harder ive been introducing her to the clicker but buddy keeps pushing her out of the way as he knows the click means treat, if i call tilly he will come bounding over with tilly following so im not sure if she is comming every time i call her or if she is just following buddy some things are going great her house training is coming on a treat she has only had one accident day or night in the last two days and that was my fault i failed to see the signs that she wanted out, she will now walk round the house on a lead untill buddy then gets over excited because because hes seen her lead ive introduced her harness and she will let me slip it just over her head now so thats coming on, but more training needs to be started but how do i do it with buddy about any advise
Erica

Re: training tilly

Post by Erica »

Can you put Buddy in a room or crate on his own, preferably (to him) with a stuffed Kong or similar? It's also possible to teach dogs to wait until their turn for training but that takes a while and requires the dog to have good impulse control. It's a lot easier to train one dog at a time!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

As has already been said try to train Tilly with Buddy in another room.
You can buy clickers that have different tones so that each dogs knows when she is being clicked .
Also You can teach Buddy , Not you . When he comes running up give a sign such as a wag of a finger ( not in a threatening way ) and say Not you and dont give him the treat .
At the end of training tilly , let Budfy have the chance to earn a treat so he doesnt feel frustrated or left out .
minkee

Post by minkee »

I agree - if possible teach them separately. I do this by having my other half look after one dog while I work with the other. Or if he's not there then I can work with my terrier while my hound relaxes in another room, but I can't work with my hound because the terrier is not happy being left alone.

So - try to separate first, but if you can't do that you can teach them to relax while you work with the other dog. Here's a really great video on how to teach this. Even if you train them separately you might want to progress to this eventually when they are ready. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfRrBH_beX8

Hope this helps!