How to motivate the trainer?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

How to motivate the trainer?

Post by MPbandmom »

I am a totally lame trainer, unless the training occurs as part of a normal day or activity. I used to think I was very patient, but I have come to realize that what I actually am is very tolerant. I become bored / frustrated just as quickly as Sky does. (which is about 3 reps of any command and she is done.)

I recently joined a grooming and nails group on FB and I have seen so many helpful posts for teaching dogs to do their own nails or to be happy with having their nails done. I have only seen one new thing that I haven't learned on this forum, but it is a little more "in my face" so to speak and it points out even more so, the time and attention and dedication that people put into working with these kinds of issues with their dogs.

With the bitterly cold weather we have had recently, I put the dogs' sweaters on them a couple of days. Sky was pretty okay with it at first, but her sweater tends to walk backwards on her and as it got a bit warmer, she decided she didn't want to wear the sweater. Sirius tolerates having the sweater put on her, but she obviously is not comfortable with the process of fitting her feet through the sleeves. Again, this is due to her not liking to have her feet handled.

We have had snow and chemicals spread all around, and the thought has occurred to me on several occasions that booties would protect their paws from the chemicals. I have even looked up patterns to make booties and they look pretty simple. I have never actually made any booties though because both dogs are wary of having their feet handled and being the wimp that I am, I don't like doing things to the dogs that they are uncomfortable with.

As a result of these things, I have determined that I really need to do some focused work on getting the dogs more comfortable with having their feet handled as a precursor to trimming nails, putting on sweaters, and putting on booties.

My problem is how to translate these thoughts into actions? How to come up with a way to be just as comfortable engaging in the training process as I want the dogs to be? How to make the process rewarding, so that it remains something that I look forward to doing, becomes a game or challenge, so that I stick with the process and see it through to results?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
MPbandmom

Re: How to motivate the trainer? / foot handling

Post by MPbandmom »

This is what I have come up with. It may sound lame/childish, but I have come up with a check off/sticker/stamp sheet. (Having trained as a teacher and having worked some as a sub, I have small motivational stickers and stamps.) :D :D :D

My hopes is that this will both remind me to perform the activities with the dogs and show me that I am making progress.

When I got home this evening, Sky was curled up in one of "her" chairs. I took advantage of her feet hanging over the edge of the chair to momentarily grasp each paw in turn. She had no issue with the front paws, but was a little concerned over the back paws.

Later in the evening, Sirius was lying on the floor and I took advantage of her feet sticking out and momentarily grasped each foot. She seemed about equally concerned with each of her feet, but was more tolerant of it than I had expected.

So perhaps I am further along in this task than I thought I was. I did not have treats, but gave the dogs head rubs afterwards. In both cases, I kind of acted on the spur of the moment as opportunity seemed to have presented itself. Should I back track and only touch the feet when I have treats present, or can I consider they are comfortable enough with foot handling to continue grasping the feet when the opportunity arises, with maybe treats being given sometimes?

I have been working on combing the cat and dogs by keeping combs beside where I sit and sometimes petting with my hand and sometimes pulling out the comb and doing a little combing. If the dogs get tired of being combed, they will turn and kind of meander away. The cat I have to watch very closely to see if she has had enough because she will just turn and claw or bite. :lol:

I have come up with the following progressions for nails.

Touch front paws, touch back paws, hold front paws, hold back paws, run pedipaws, touch paws pedipaws off, touch nail pedipaws off, touch paw pedipaws on, touch nail pedipaws on, grind nail

Since they already seen okay with having their paws held briefly, should I still do some just paw touches with my hands? Should I shuffle the order on anything above?

For the booties I have put a bootie on loosly at first and then fastened, one foot at a time, then both front feet, then both back feet, then all 4 feet.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Dibbythedog

Re: How to motivate the trainer?

Post by Dibbythedog »

It sounds like you have answered your own question ! :D
I think its a great idea to have a check sheet, not only to motivate but to remember what you have done and to check yours and the dogs' progress.
I would still carry on doing paw touches . I've not used a pedipaw and not even seen one. I'm not sure my dogs would like it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I saw a quote someone had about how they started working out on a regular basis and thought the same tactic could help! What they did was go to the gym every day. Even if they didn't work out, they would, every day, go to the gym. Once it was a habit to go to there every day, it was easier to stay and work out. It could help to set a time for training (eg, Delta and I tend to train around 8 or 9 o'clock, an hour after my dinner and just before bedtime) and, even if all you do is ask for a sit, just do a tiny bit of training every day. It's easy to say "eurgh, I'm just going to take one day off..." if you make yourself do 15 or even just 5 minutes every day, but if it's just 10 seconds, it feels silly to skip it.

The sticker chart is good too! I remember from a book I read - can't remember what it was, it might have been a dog training book - that checkboxes etc work best when the subject completely fills in the box or circle with a pencil or pen or whatever writing utensil. No idea why, but there you go. :P I remembered the important part.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

There's a thing called 'Don't break the chain' which ties in with what Erica and you are both saying, where you set up your calendar & stickers (or a marker pen, or whatever!) so that everytime you do that thing (whatever your 'thing' is) you can put a mark on the calendar. The idea is that so long as you do it (even if it's only for 3 minutes) you get to make your mark and begin your 'chain'. Keep doing it every day to keep the chain intact, whatever you do don't break the chain!

Does that make sense? I've been navigating finishing dinner while typing that paragraph and now I'm off to eat it!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Yes thanks Erica and Minkee, that adds to my thinking. After 2 days of working with them, I missed last night because Thursday is grocery shopping night (Senior discount can be had on top of sale prices. :D ) I think we went to 7 different stores taking advantage of sales. Then when I got home, I ate and went to bed. This often seems to be my pattern, I start out strong, but then things happen that interfere. Daylight savings time is starting next weekend which will mean a return to evening walks so my evening schedule will change. I think this is why I only manage to train for things that fall naturally under the routine. Like Gee and Haw and On by. I trained those while out walking. Maybe if I start doing more handling while harnessing the dogs?