Barking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rachel540

Barking

Post by rachel540 »

Hello! Wow i havent been on here for so long, been reading the threads trying to catch up. All is well with us, Pepper will be 4 in July, shes now 100% raw fed and chemical free (no more vacs, flee or worm treatments) and it shows. Will post some pics later.
But i am here for a reason - Pepper has started barking at people on walks.

She usually barks as people enter our house inc people she knows in a very excited way and we just ignore it, she quickly starts parading toys and licking hands. She barks if she hears a noise outside and her hackles go up, ears forward and alert, we respond by investigating, checking through the windows, etc. she also barks occasionally as she chases birds, ducks and cats again with hackles up, ears forward, alert and strong sturdy stance, we usually recall and she responds, she has a good recall.

But in the last two weeks she has barked whilst on a walk first at children playing, then again at an elderly couple walking past us on the pavement. Its in the same way as when she barks as people enter our home - repeatedly and moving towards the person, low body but wagging tail and ears back . And I cant figure out why. I redirected her attention and put myself between Pepper and the children asking her to walk on (mostly to put them at ease) but with the elderly couple they were close and gave her a fuss before ai could do anything, pepper licked their hands and sat for them.

Nothing has changed in her routine (our lives are not that exciting) the only thing thats has happened recently was an incident - Pepper was running towards a stick that was stuck into the ground and it went directly in her mouth and cut her throat just by her tonsils. She seemed to go into shock, a trip to the vets and put under to check and wash out the wound, but luckily no stitches, followed by a week of pain killers and antibiotics and shes back to normal.

What am I missing? What should I look out for as triggers? And am I handling it well?
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
JudyN

Re: Barking

Post by JudyN »

I can't help with the general barking, but how long ago was her operation? Jasper had an uncharacteristic (even for him!) stressy meltdown 8 or 9 days after he had an anaesthetic to be stitched up recently, though he seemed to have recovered well, so the effects can be long lasting in some dogs.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

It was two weeks ago exactly. I know I might sound over the top considering this as a problem but it is just so unlike her, she chewed a magazine while we were out today as well, she hasnt done that for years!?
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Hi Rachel....obviously I'm no expert but wondering whether something undetectable to us is triggering a spike of anxiety following her accident...sounds like she needs extra reassurance that everything is ok when you're out with her....can you take her somewhere and just sit and watch the world go by with some high value treats / treat and reassure even when there are no people and she is simply walking calmly with you. If Pepper is quite a sensitive girl her accident could have affected her more than you think, even if she appears to be acting normally in other situations..just my thoughts :)
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Thanks Kate i hadnt thought of that. And yes Pepper is very sensitive, finds it hard to cope with other dogs (tend to quickly pass without encouraging more than a sniff - seems to be all she can handle), even finds it hard to settle when visiting family (which we manage with short visits and kong). Her reaction in scary situations is either to create distance or hide between my legs, but never barked, which is why its unusual. Thanks, will try that idea.