Keeping my dog happy when home alone

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChrisL

Keeping my dog happy when home alone

Post by ChrisL »

Hi all, this is my first post on this site!
I have a 6 year old Chihuahua that stays home alone while I'm at work or church.
He's never been left home alone for more than a couple of hours or so, because previously my retired husband would be home with him while I was at work.
For some months after our divorce, my husband would come and pick him up every morning and then drop him back off when I got home.
Now my ex is not available for that as much and I'm noticing that being home alone is making him stress.
I've rearranged my work schedule to come home at lunch and while he does well when I leave in the morning, he gets really upset when I start to leave again at the end of my lunch.
I have other dogs (bigger ones) and two cats. Everyone stays in kennels while I'm gone, except for the Chi who is allowed up on the bed or the sofa. I leave him a couple of rope toys and nylabones that he isn't able to eat, so he has something to play with.
None of the other animals seem to care, and it doesn't stress me out that much to leave him, but it bothers me a lot that he gets so upset.
By upset, I mean that he tries to run out the door with me, and then when I scoot him back he tries to climb up on my leg or arm and won't let go. It's almost like a toddler holding on to their parent's leg.
Is there anything at all I can leave him with that might help him look forward to me leaving or at least distract him for a while, but not be a choking hazard?
I haven't found any toys at petsmart that would work for him, because he's so tiny and yet extremely destructive to toys. He even tears up Kong toys!
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Also, since he does ok when I walk out to check the mail or the first time I leave during the day, I don't think it's separation anxiety or anything like that.
I will say he stays at the door and waits for me to come back even then, but he doesn't get as 'clingy'.
As far as his routine is concerned, I have a fenced yard and then i try to play with him some as well. I could be more consistent about draining his energy.
He doesn't get to go for too many walks because of some health issues I won't get into right now, but I do take him with me as much as I can (to run errands, etc.) I could probably exercise him in the yard and in the house more though and take him for a short walk at least sometimes.
In a year or two when we move back out to the country he'll be able to go for more walks as well...
That's another transition he's had to make, moving from the country into a town (not city).
mansbestfriend

Re: Keeping my dog happy when home alone

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. If you're exercising in your yard, walks don't have to be long in distance. Length of time and being allowed to explore and sniff and generally experience the world for a while is important, and also maybe practise some training.

When leaving my dog for a few hours, I give her several toys to play with and occupy the time and a comfy bed, give her a long lasting chew/s, scattered treats wrapped in newspaper, whatever, and just before I leave very calmly scatter small treats and/or kibble, or tiny bits of something like cat food randomly but safely all over the yard. She usually so busy sniffing and looking for things, she doesn't seem to notice I'm going/gone. The length of time alone has been built gradually. My leaving now usually isn't a big deal.

What do you do differently at breakfast time?
If the dog is mildly stressed, keeping yourself as calm and fuss-free as possible, and the dog occupied, should help.
Cheers. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The more tired he is, the better - this can be a mental workout as well as physical.

Have you tried leaving him with food? You could try stuffed Kongs (frozen so they last longer), or scatter treats (out of his daily food allowance) all over the floor for him to find.

If you've tried that or it doesn't help, I'm going to suggest something others may disagree with but would be worth considering - as he is OK when you leave him in the morning, maybe he would be better if you didn't come hope at lunchtime. He may be better being left for one long stretch than two shorter ones. If you're going to try this, though, I suggest setting up a webcam so you can see how relaxed he is. And build up to the longer leave gradually.

I think it is separation anxiety, even though he's OK in the mornings or when you pop out for the mail. My dog is fine (after a lot of work) with me leaving him in the day when OH has gone to work in the morning, but not so good at weekends or evenings if we both go out (even separately).

Some dogs don't play, as such, when left alone. Mine doesn't even when I'm there, and it wouldn't occur to him to do it when he's alone - so don't worry if yours isn't that way inclined either. It just means you have to make sure that once they've eaten all the food that's going, they're ready for a nice long nap.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

We have never had a dog that was as bad as Chi about being left at home. But, we had one that would go berserk when we came home. We finally started (almost) ignoring the dog when we came in until she settled. That helped some. You might try not making an issue about leaving, like not being in a hurry to get out the door, and don't make on over Chi. How you welcome him when you get home might make a difference too. If you establish a morning routine, like gating off in one room, setting out toys, fixing a mat to lay on and feeding before you leave he might get used to you leaving.
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Thanks for the advice!
First, I don't think he can hold it as long as I would be gone if I didn't come home for lunch. If I thought he could, I would do that, because it would be easier for me not to come home in the middle of my work day.
He loves his toys, but i do not think he plays with them while I'm gone.
I have decided to take my books that suggest different tricks to teach your dog and work with him on one per week or so to give him something to think about. He LOVES learning and repeating behaviors. He's super smart too. Every bit as intelligent as my other dogs, if not more so than most. (My Coonhounds are exceptionally quick to pick up on things too though...)
I did tone down my welcome when I came home for lunch today. It didn't seem to make much of a difference but maybe it will over time. I also made sure I was happy as I was leaving. Will continue to work on that.
I do not have access to a camera to film him, but it doesn't appear to me that he gets extremely anxious, because he doesn't cry or bark or paw at the door or anything like that, nor does he pant.
He does get clingy with me for a while when I get back home and at lunch it's for the whole time I'm home, but I'll keep working with him.
I considered getting another small dog that could stay 'out' with him, that he could cuddle up with, but he is very jealous of my attention and his toys and I wonder if it would make him feel better or worse... It's just that I heard Chis tend to be 'clannish' and he might like another dog his size around. It's hard for him to really play with the big dogs, because they are 15 times his size!
I have begun to give him kibble right as I leave, rather than before, and that seems to mildly distract him, but not completely. I guess I could put his special treats out as I leave as well.
When it gets warmer I won't want to leave too much food out, because I don't want to attract fire ants and endanger him that way... I thought about the kong, but like I said, he's figured out how to destroy them and I don't want him to swallow the pieces...
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

GREAT article!
Thank you.
I have toned down our 'happy dance' when I get home some. I also stay happy as I leave.
He's been increasingly clingy at lunch and grabbing hold of me with his front legs as I try to leave...
This weekend, when I'm home and able to watch him, I'm going to try a homeopathic anti anxiety liquid.
Also, I will try what the article said and put him in a separate room sometimes. He does not like that at all, so I'll work with him on that.
I also pulled out two of my dog training books (training sports and tricks), and found some ideas in those of what I can do to work his mind some while I am home.
I actually had thought about getting another little dog, but wondered if that would really help or not. She says 'no', so I won't for now.
He does have some of my clothes to lie down with, don't know if that helps him or not.
I might start leaving him in the bedroom only, instead of giving him the run of the house. It might make him feel more secure. And he'd have the comfort of the bed still.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Well done for what you are working on to help him.

Another dog would be the last straw with him. It's YOU he wants, and having to compete for your attention with yet another dog would be incredibly hard on him.

Good luck with the potion - there are several to try, and though nothing works for all dogs, many people find them helpful, so if one doesn't help, there's no harm in trying another.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

So far so good.
He's been doing better about staying alone, don't know if it's due to the homeopathic drops or just because little changes are helping him.
Yesterday I stayed out way longer than usual because of work and today he was REALLY bad about me leaving.
When I came home he had gotten hold of some paper towels and a piece of paper and shredded them into tiny pieces. He's never done that before.
That though, appeared to be frustration, rather than anxiety, just based on his other behavior, but it could have been either.
He's settled back in right now and seems to be over it.
I will continue to work with him.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Leave him some safe items to shred and then he won't go looking for stuff. Shredding and chewing are stress relievers, s it's good for him to do it but there will be things you don't want shredded, so give him some alternatives.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

I have left him in one room instead of giving him the run of the house, for short periods of time he does good with that. This morning I left him in that room for about 4 hours while I was gone and he seemed to be ok with that. I'll have to see how he does on work days, but that's encouraging and he didn't shred anything.
He really is a good little boy, I just want him to be happy.
He's also learning some new games and he likes that once he gets past the anxiety of it.