Can't remember how I taught it.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jennageit

Can't remember how I taught it.

Post by jennageit »

Hi Guys,

A few years ago I had very high energy white boxer puppy who was extreme action from the minute she woke to when she finally flaked it at night. She was very difficult to train, but only in the extent that she did everything at high speed. You could actually hear her bottom thump the ground as she did a lightning fast sit. I put it down to her wanting to please, this seemed to be her ultimate, to get a "good girl" or even a "smile" from whoever was working with her.

Sadly, (for me), I no-longer have her. I ended up giving her to an autistic boy and his family. Why? Well, I didn't want to but that was because I was being selfish. When this family came over for a cuppa (friends of my family), my little white boxer planted herself squarely on the young boys lap and didn't move. Peter (the autistic boy) was 13 years old at the time and had never shown any sign of wanting to communicate verbally with anyone, teachers, family members, doctors etc. During a lull in the conversation, we heard a cooing noise, and was surprised, astonished and happy, to hear Peter was cooing to Loki, my little boxer girl. To top it off, Loki was warbling back to him. I swear they were having their own little conversation!

When it came time to leave, Loki didn't want to get off his lap. I picked her up and put her in the other room whilst we said our goodbyes. (Loki was a shocker for diving out any open door. It took a bit to get his wheelchair out the door and I didn't want the worry of Loki getting onto the road).
From that moment on, Loki wouldn't leave the door unless it was to eat, drink or go to the toilet. She wasn't interested in training or play.

A few days later, Peter's mum rang and asked if Loki could go over for a few hours. I didn't see the harm in that. The minute we opened the front door to Peters' house, Loki went in search of Peter. I didn't bring her home after that :cry: . Those two were meant to be together, and to this day, are still inseparable. Loki has had to undergo service dog training, and even stays with Peter when he goes into hospital. Loki is very well behaved, and Peter, well, he's now trying to speak to his mum and dad! So, I gave up my little girl, but she's happy.

Anyway, back on topic.

Because Loki was high drive, I taught her the word "Stop", which meant to stand stock still and not move. There's nothing worse than trying to hold a puppy still on a vets table for an injection when they are trying to flip around and lick everything and everyone in sight! The problem is, I don't remember how I taught it to her.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've always used basic obedience, as well as "catching behaviour" and putting a cue word to it, but I can't for the life of me remember how I taught this one.

Thanks in advance guys,

Jenna
Kids, dogs, family, writing, coffee and chocolate. What more is there in life?
Oh yeah, updating my blog daily, there's always that too!
Steve29

Re: Can't remember how I taught it.

Post by Steve29 »

I assume you are talking about the same thing as the "stay" command. Start by teaching your dog to sit and down first. Then you just start extending the time they are attentive to you until you can move away and they will hold. If you don't know how to do this there are lots of videos available, just Google. Their attention should be on you not everything else going on around them. Always release them after a stay command.
JudyN

Re: Can't remember how I taught it.

Post by JudyN »

What a wonderful story, even if it means you no longer have Loki with you.

We were taught 'stop' in training class as a command to use at a distance - e.g. you recall your dog, then you notice the road she's about to run across (OK, not very realistic) so you shout 'STOP!' and she (in theory) stops. But I don't think that's quite what you're after.

I use 'wait' in multiple contexts, but it may be what you're after - I use if if Jasper is mooching ahead and I want to catch up with him, say to put him on lead. On those occasions he doesn't stop stock still, in fact he often meanders to the side of the path to sniff while I catch up. But that's OK by me. I also use if if I want him to stand still while I do something to him, like bathe a cut. Then I'll stick a treat somewhere he can see it, ask him to wait, and he'll hold still, eyes on the treat, while I do what I want to do. This is also teamed with a raised finger.

I first taught 'wait' by putting a treat in front of him, asking him to wait and then saying 'OK' - if he tried to get it before I released him I'd cover it with my hand again. To be honest, using it to ask him to stop while I catch up and for while I do things just sort of evolved. It might not really be what you're after, but it worked for us.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009