inappropriate play

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

inappropriate play

Post by delladooo »

We need some help before MiMi gets hurt. Mum's very concerned that Laufey will break her neck and whilst I can definitely see the possibility I have no idea what to do.

Laufey is very bouncy anyway but then rags MiMi (with and without toys) and it's causing quite a bit of friction in the house. With toys, one of them with have the toy then the other comes and grabs the other end which leads to Laufey ragging it which can result in MiMi not being completely on the floor. Sometimes, usually if they're playing together or she's chasing him and keeps trying to bite his ankles (something I try to prevent but is difficult when she is intent on doing it and Laufey keeps going to for more) and jumping on him and then he ends up grabbing her by her fur and shaking her.

Any idea how to stop the behaviour before there are injuries?
Nettle

Re: inappropriate play

Post by Nettle »

If you had a toddler pullng a baby about, you wouldn't let it happen.

Halt the "play" when it STARTS to get rough, separate the dogs and give each something to rip up or otherwise occupy. You have two very young dogs and they won't hold back because they know no better. So it's up to you to step in and stop it.

Don't get angry, don't get impatient - they didn't choose to live together. It was their humans' choice so their humans must step up and fix it.

This isn't for ever - they will grow out of it. :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nettle wrote:If you had a toddler pullng a baby about, you wouldn't let it happen.

Halt the "play" when it STARTS to get rough, separate the dogs and give each something to rip up or otherwise occupy. You have two very young dogs and they won't hold back because they know no better. So it's up to you to step in and stop it.

Don't get angry, don't get impatient - they didn't choose to live together. It was their humans' choice so their humans must step up and fix it.

This isn't for ever - they will grow out of it. :wink:
They just seem to get on so well until it devolves into chaos :roll: I think the real sticking point is neither of them knowing when to stop to take a break but they are getting better. More management, I can do that... Just to try and get everyone on the same page :)
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

A lot of pet owners forget it is your house and your rules. Don't let it get started. Separate them and send them to their rooms without TV, well you know what I mean. Give them a time out like you do kids. It may take some training on your part, but that is much better than waiting until one of them gets hurt.