Puppy growling and lunging

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rowe

Puppy growling and lunging

Post by rowe »

hi,

my eight week old staffy pup is growling and lunging at me when i go to pick him up. I understand that puppies don't like being picked up and if done incorrectly it can hurt. This behavior has escalated from a small growl, to snarling and lunging :/ How our house is built is that the stairs on the front and back entrance are to big for him and dangerous, to take him down even on a lead would still be dangerous as he could fall through the stairs.

I am trying to re-framed picking him up by offering a tasty treat and I make sure I fully support his back legs and chest.

Do any of you have an idea to help? I'm quiet concerned as none of my previous dogs have shown this behavior and i'm at a loss.
Dibbythedog

Re: Puppy growling and lunging

Post by Dibbythedog »

Goodness , he sounds a scared little pup.
can you tell us more of his background , where did he come from ? How long have you had him for ? Does he act like this an any other time?

you going the right way about it by using treats etc . You can try to desensities him to being picked up . its late here in the Uk so I'm signing off but will get back to you .

alison
rowe

Post by rowe »

he is completly chilled and out and relaxed all of the time except when you pick him up. His mother was used as a breeding machine and was surrendered to the local rescue and had her pups at the foster carer's house. It turns out the foster carer has three children who used to carry the pups everywhere :/ so i'm wondering if they have accidently hurt him. i have had him for four days.

I just worry as i have a three year old and don't want this behavior to escalate :/
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. On the practical side, (assuming it isn't a injury/medical issue) while training/counter-conditioning is happening in the longer term he still has to be carried up and down the stairs at walkies time. If he's happy and comfortable in a dog crate (or even a comfy cardboard box, or cradled in a blanket), maybe carry him in one of those until he can be carried, or big enough to climb the stairs for himself. Cheers.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I like the idea of carrying him in a crate - or rather one of those carry boxes for transporting dogs to vets :D Make sure this doesn't translate into a fear of the carrier though.

Failing that - will there come a time when you deem him safe enough to manage the steps himself, or when you simply can't carry him anyway? And how great is the risk that he could hurt himself now? You do have to balance the risk of him managing the stairs on his own now with the risk that this will escalate and spread to other situations, even being approached if he thinks you might be about to pick him up - this is just as much a risk to him if you are then unable to keep him.

Another idea is to walk him in a harness that attaches in two places - something like this http://www.amazon.com/Sure-Fit-Harness- ... B00273SCZS - with leads or a loop attached to both ends along the back. Then he can walk up & downstairs with you holding the leads/loop so he doesn't feel constrained, but if he does slip he'll just be suspended briefly.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Ah poor pup . no wonder he doesnt like being picked up.

Clever suggestions from Judy and mansbestfriend about the carrier or blanket.

He needs to learn that being picked up isnt going to hurt him.
Pups soon learn when someone is going to pick them up . usually you approach them directly and then bend down withg hands towards them .
Try to avoid this for a few daysif you can perhaps by using the carrier , with a front loading one you could put a treat in and see if he goes in on his own . You could also sit on the floor and play with him then when he is on your lap you could place a light blanket round him and then stand up , if you're able to do that .
Its difficult becuase sometimes you wont have the time to do it , because he needs to go urgently.

I never use puppy pads or paper for house training as I think it can create problems later on , if you use these though it would mean you can avoid having to pick him up and take him out . :? A bit of a dilemma. What does everybody else think . ?

To desensitise and counter condition , you need to take baby steps.

do short sessions where you down to his level on the floor either sitting or bending and wait or entice him to come to you .
Hold a treat , something really yummy , in your fist , not too tightly and while he is occupied with trying to get it , run your other hand over his back and under his chest , if hes not too worried by this try leaving your hand over his back for a couple of seconds and then underneath behind his front legs ( the places where you will touching him when you pick him up ). See how he reacts , let him take the treat when he lets you leave your hand on him for a couple of seconds . You could use a toy if using food isnt suitable. Do sessions like this and leave your hand for longer. if he is comfortable with it , try putting a little pressure on , a little more grip.

you can do different things , you just need to get him used to your hands going round him and a little pressure so he can learn its not going to hurt.
let him sit on your lap and if he is relaxed , you can stroke him with both hands, one each side and sort of slide your hands around him gently so they are in the position where you will hold him when you pick him up . if hes ok with this then next time use a little more grip . Your aim is to be able to place both your hands round him with a little pressure. The next stage would be to lift him very slightly and build up to a higher lift.

After a few days , you can start approaching him standing up and lean over to give him a treat and then walk straight away . You want to aim at having him being relaxed at you appraoching him and leaning over him with one and then two hands down . You also want him to be happy with you placing your hands around him and lifting . When he is happy with both of these you have to marry the two together .
These are suggerstions , you can adapt or think of your own ways to get the same result .

At any stage , he shows signs of not liking it then stop staright away . This might work quite quickly or it might take time , go at your pups pace.

good luck . ! :)
rowe

Post by rowe »

Thank you everyone, it seems to be a a two steps forward and one step back process ;) he is responding well, but i think I will try the blanket method. The stairs have quiet a huge gap, he can't even make it up two of them. I am getting him to practice though. There is a very real danger if he fell. He could break something or die :/ He did growl at me this morning when i was removing him from the cat, but stopped mid growl if that makes sense.

Honestly I think he is just sore from being picked up all the time. I found it best not to do paper training or pee pads. I will definitely do the blanket method and food.

Thank you
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

glad you have made progress! Its never a straight line , there will always be a step back or to the side :)

You have a tolerant cat ! You could try luring him away by waving a toy or tasty treat in front of his nose.
Every interaction with your pup is a training session and they learn very quickly .