Peeing Puppy

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rowe

Peeing Puppy

Post by rowe »

Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since i've had a puppy, since i was a child. I have done a lot of reading before i got our rescue pup, but I just wanted to run something by you all. I take my puppy out immediatly after he has woken up or eaten and pretty much every hour to pee outside. He still is peeing a lot inside. He will pee 3 or four times in one hour...

I know pups have tiny bladders but is this normal considering how many times i toilet him outside?

Thanks so much
R
Nettle

Re: Peeing Puppy

Post by Nettle »

How old is he?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
rowe

Post by rowe »

he is 7 1/2 weeks, we just got him two days ago :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Then his bladder will be tiny and his bladder control not very efficient. Try taking him out every half an hour and waiting for the second pee - they often need to pee twice :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
rowe

Post by rowe »

Thanks nettle, I thought so i just wanted to check because he peed four times just after i'd taken him out! haha oh well
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Yup at that age they pee all the time ;) Like Nettle says, young puppies tend to do multiple pees when they do go; so if you take him out, he pees and then you bring him in he will probably pee inside too.. So make sure you stay out with him until he is completely empty and reward him well with tasty treats every time he pees outside ;)

It might help to keep a diary of his 'schedule' for a few days, so you can get a better idea of when and how often he's likely to need to go. Good luck and enjoy your puppy :)
rowe

Post by rowe »

Thanks Sanna