Progress at last, with both dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jennageit

Progress at last, with both dogs

Post by jennageit »

Hi guys,

I had to take a break from everything for a while due to stress. I even took a break from working with my dogs, and it was the best thing I could have done.

When I left you last, I couldn't get Jock and Peppa to be in the same room comfortably without Peppa bugging the hell out of Jock. I made a very big mistake a week ago, and left the room to answer the phone.

When I came back, Peppa had a cut on her head, Jock had a cut on his lip, and they were giving each other filthy looks. I put them both on their mats, checked them over and kept an eye on them. Since then, Peppa has been very well behaved around Jock. I'm guessing that he told her off, and whatever it was that he said to her, made a big difference to her attitude.

She still tries to mount and dominate the old white dog, but she leaves Jock alone and is respectful of him. So much so that I can take them both on lead out in the front yard without her trying to pick a fight. I haven't had them off-lead playing together yet, but there is definite improvement.

Now for the individual improvement.

My son James takes Jock for a run in the newly mowed house paddock. James will throw the ball forever and Jock gets to burn off all his energy before coming inside and sitting happily at my feet. He spent about 2 hours asleep on the floor next to me yesterday, and when he woke, he went straight to the door and stared at me. After a minute, I extricated myslef from the couch, got organised with my crutches and went to let him out. He stood back from the door, waited for me to go through and then walked out behind me. He's back to doing this with every doorway now, which is fantastic.

He has been inside a LOT this last week and hasn't yet made a mess or cocked his leg, but I've been watching him and taking him out every time he looks like he's going to.

He's not yet happy, but he's much better with the crate. He will now eat his dog treats in the pen. He used to take a treat from me, put it on the floor and stare at the front of the crate. now he'll drop and chew up the treat. I can also open the door, tell him to stay, and as long as I'm in the room, he'll stay there. If I leave, he's by my side. One thing I have noticed though, he wont go in the crate for anyone but me.
He hasn't been locked in there unattended yet, I don't believe he's ready for that. He has, however, taken himself into the crate without being told, although he wont usually stay there. I know it's only a tiny step, but I believe it's progress.

Peppa has been taken over by my husband. She's very well behaved for me, but not so much for hubby and that's a problem. I've been working with both of them, but I found that when I am around, Peppa behaves beautifully for both of us. If I'm not there, it's a totally different story. I've given hubby as much advice as I can, and I sneak peak at times to see how he's going.
Peppa is still learning what I ask of her, but she is much more respectful of me, Jock and what we want.

So, I think that's great progress.

What about you guys?

Jenna :)
Kids, dogs, family, writing, coffee and chocolate. What more is there in life?
Oh yeah, updating my blog daily, there's always that too!
emmabeth

Re: Progress at last, with both dogs

Post by emmabeth »

I think that is AWESOME stuff and, well done to YOU too for taking a break, letting things calm down and coming back to it - its not easy when you are being bombarded with info about changing almost every thing you are doing and being challenged to think your way around problems that have probably been bugging you a while... and you did that! (Jeez but this sounds patronising written down, sorry!)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jennageit

Post by jennageit »

Hi,

It doesn't sound patronising at all, not to me anyway.

I'm just happy things are beginning to work out. We still haven't found anywhere to live, nor do we have the finances to be able to move, but I can't worry about it, it doesn't change anything.

The dogs seem to be doing better. I was doing well until about an hour ago when I hurt my back again. Now I'm confined to the bed again :(

Jenna
jennageit

Post by jennageit »

Yet another night in hospital left me feeling sore and sorry for myself, so I decided to go play with the dogs.

Jock has made a marked improvement over the last week or so, right down to falling into a deep sleep at my feet. (rarely, if ever, does this).
He is getting over his fear of surfaces that aren't ground or concrete, to the extent that he jumped onto the kitchen table yesterday. I know, bad boy, and he wont be repeating that one, but it's unheard of for him to ever lift his back feet off the ground.
He had a great day yesterday hunting down 4 rats and disposing of them in quick order, and then happily sat still whilst I brushed his seemingly endless dead coat out.
Today, when calling him over to me, he jumped in my lap. He never even did this as a puppy. I let him stay there as a) he was comfy, b) I was comfy, and c) it gave me the opportunity to pull out all the sticky weed burrs from his coat. When I told him down, he carefully jumped down and dropped at my feet.
Also, he willingly took himself into the crate today. I didn't ask or tell him to, the door was open and he went in and made himself comfy. I stayed in the room, he had about a ten minute nap and then came and sat at my feet. He started nudging me and looking at the door, so I took him outside, he went to the toilet and then followed me inside again. He seems to be getting this housetraining bit sorted out.

Peppa was a bit of a pain today, until my husband let her run off some energy. I have found that if I sit on a small dirt mound in the front yard, I can throw the rope toy for her. It doesn't strain my back, and I can do it for a long time. Peppa has learned to bring the toy back to me and place it in my hand or on my lap. If she does, and it drops, she picks it up and gives it to me again. She seems to have figured out that I can't bend or reach out.

She's also behaving on lead now to the point where I can walk her without her pulling, even when a young hare kit runs across her path.

So, how's that for progress?!

Jenna
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

This is brilliant progress :D thank you so much for sharing.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jennageit

Post by jennageit »

Oh, I forgot to add something.

I was sitting on the floor today helping my 5 year old daughter pack up her toys into the box and Peppa decided to help. She'd pick up each small toy carefully and drop it into the box. She didn't try to play with anything, and was very gentle.

At one stage she frightened my daughter (not intentionally) and when she realised what she'd done, she went into her "pat" position.
The two border collies have been taught "pats", which means you sit still and lean towards my daughter, without making eye contact. My little girl is still fearful of dogs, but understands that the dogs love her and want a pat. This way, Peppa gets to make up for scaring her, and CJ gets to start overcoming her fear without any pressure. For those of you who don't believe that Peppa wants to make up, she's absolutely mortified if she frightens CJ. She'll even try to share her food, toys and (if I let her) pen with my daughter. She's sort of like a big sister to CJ.

Also, Jock was at my feet when my two daughters came in. He promptly rolled onto his back for a belly rub (his ultimate reward) and fell asleep with my two girls patting him. He only woke up when they stopped, and looked a little upset when they got up to leave! He's turning into such a soft, gentle dog with the kids, and me, that it's wonderful.

Sorry, I'm bragging, I know, but I'm just so proud of my doggies.