Need Help

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Renata

Need Help

Post by Renata »

Hello everyone,

We have 6 months old German shepherd, while we are at home he can wait till we will go outside and everything is just great, but if we leave him at home alone even for 15 minutes (the same is even then he just came back home from outside), he pee and poop inside . Please advise what can be the problem and how to deal with it :roll:
NinjaDogg

Re: Need Help

Post by NinjaDogg »

Sounds like your dog might have some separation anxiety. We got my dog "partly" ok with us leaving.... at least through the garage...

It took awhile, but it was a lot of really quick in an outs, with treats on our return.... at first, anyways.

Now we give him a treat when we leave, rather than return. He just goes in his crate when he realizes we're going to work, or at least not taking him with us. (then we give him treats right before we leave) I know we still gotta work on that with him, or at least drop the treats too.... but just giving my $0.02 on what's (partly) worked for us... (I can't really leave through the front door, so much.... gotta give you the full story, hehe)
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

From my experience working with many types of animals from pigs to horses...dogs are in there too, I have found animals react a lot from what we do, An animal is always conscious of what a human is doing when they are around. But, I think dogs are a little different because of the close bond you develop with your pet, which is one reason for having anxiety issues.

Having done quite a bit of study on this issue I would suggest you train your dog in leaving. Leave your dog for a short period of time and do not make a big deal out of leaving or coming back in. Just give the dog a pat when leaving and a pat when coming back into your home. Let him know that you are not excited or upset and this is just the normal routine. I think, when we make on over them when we leave they feel that break in the relationship as you do and then when we get back and are excited to see them we overdo it for them and they get overly excited. So, just keep extending the time you are away from home and practice not making a big thing out of leaving or coming back. I know you want to show your companion how much you miss them, but wait until later and them love the time out of him. Hope that helps.
Renata

Post by Renata »

Thank You a lot for all advices:)