On Lead & Off Lead dogs meeting for the first time...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Seli

On Lead & Off Lead dogs meeting for the first time...

Post by Seli »

Hi, I'm doing a dog training course and I've been asked to think about how the reactions of a dog owner with a dog on lead reacts to a dog off lead, and how this reaction can affect the "on lead" dog behavior going forwards.

Now if the off lead dog was coming over to my dog, I would ask my dog to sit and leave, and if he's on his flexi leash (I'm disabled so can't go for walks up in the fields, and a flexi leash gives him some freedom), I'd lock the extension, to about the same length as a fixed lead, not short so he doesn't feel restricted, but not long so that he could charge at the dog, if he would get excited.

I have to look at this like a dog owner that doesn't understand the behavior that they are inadvertently teaching their dog.

I have to advise on 3 things that the owner would do. I have 2, so far, and am asking your opinion on what you think people's reactions would be.
1) Shorten the leash
2) Pull their dog aware from the off leash dog.

Thanks
Seli
Nettle

Re: On Lead & Off Lead dogs meeting for the first time...

Post by Nettle »

Hi and welcome :)

Always push a dog, don't pull. Dogs understand pushing - they push each other quite happily. Push the dog with your leg just by walking sideways gently, and the dog will move away from the pressure. A dog should always be on the far side of any approaching dog, so your body is between it and your own dog. By contrast, if you pull a dog, you have left it "on its own" in front of whatever. This diminishes its trust in you to protect it.

When a strange dog approaches, unless you (not its owner) are certain that it is friendly and well-mannered, you keep your dog safe (in your dog's opinion - which is the one that matters :wink: ) by moving between as just described and if necessary, removing your dog to a distance your dog thinks is safe. Then reward your dog when it is quiet and relaxed. This builds its trust in you.

If you make your dog 'sit' or 'down' when another dog is approaching, you have disadvantaged it. It is already on a lead so cannot avoid the other dog, and then you tell it to be immobile, which leaves it helpless if the other dog is rude or antagonistic. You have then let your dog down because you have taken away its defences. It will be reluctant to obey you, especially if what happens next is uncomfortable for it.

If the other dog appears friendly and yours knows how to greet politely and looks willing to do so, check first with the other owner that it is okay, and then let them greet. Be ready to move between them and take your dog away if you have misjudged and the greeting looks as if it is going to turn nasty.

You can't do any of this with an extending lead extended, so just as you have said, your first response when seeing another dog is to get your dog back on a short lead. It is also very dangerous for dogs to meet if one (or heaven help us, both) is on an extended lead. I've seen some horrible accidents.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

"Sit and wait" is not a good approach for my boy - it builds up tension in him. So, I either shorten the leash and we move away, or I let the leash go and let him meet the other dog unrestrained if the dog seems friendly and if my boy is relaxed. He isn't very interested in other dogs, so all it takes is 10-15-20 seconds for the initial excitement to pass, and then I pick up the leash and we move on.

And we try to avoid meet/greet other on-leash dogs all together... Just to pass them without any prolonged contact of exposure.

But back to the question asked - I think people's natural reaction in most cases unfortunately would be to pull their dog away :( which of course would leave the dog exposed (without the human shielding it from the intruder) and at the same time restrained. (And maybe even experiencing pain if the dog is wearing a prong collar, or even a regular thin collar)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My dog wouldn't appreciate being pushed or pulled :lol: But as I often lead him off the side of the path and stick some sausage or liver cake under his nose (cueing with 'picnic') when another dog approaches, this doesn't raise his suspicions, so he (usually) stays calm.

You'd think the other owner would realise that this means I don't want their dog to approach mine, but often as not they'll let it bounce up and sniff his bum while I'm distracting him with the treats :evil:

So my list of three things would be:

1) Lead your dog to the side of the path (or just take a wide berth if possible, or even retrace your steps if you have a reactive dog),
2) Distract dog with stinky treats, asking for a 'watch',
3) Call out (calmly, or your dog will sense your annoyance/stress) 'Call your * dog will you, don't you know anything about * dog etiquette?' [* = insert expletive of choice :lol: ]

Oh, and praise your dog after the event. I'm not convinced that it makes much difference, because if you get it right and your dog wasn't stressed he won't be aware of doing anything 'good' anyway, but far better to treat unnecessarily than to miss rewarding when he has shown some restraint. And anything that sends the message 'Dog approaches me, Mum/Dad gives me treats' is worthwhile.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

My reactions don't seem to affect Spencer much thankfully. After 8 years of Rupert wanting to inflict serious harm on other dogs I was (still am actually) quite tense about strange dogs approaching. Spen is confident enough that he ignores my initial "oh sh*t" reaction and reads the situation for himself instead of reacting the same way. With Rupert my reaction had a huge effect. I had to desensitize him to the leash being tightened, to me tensing up, to my voice changing. And I taught him that his "job" was to go behind me and keep himself there while I dealt with the other dog. No pushing or pulling required and it meant I didn't really have to worry about keeping control of him as well as fending off an approaching dog. Unless they got past me anyway.

Most people just pull the dogs away which can cause all sorts of problems. Dog is pulled up into a more threatening stance, there's pressure on the dogs throat if its on a collar, perhaps pain depending on the equipment, can't display appropriate body language or polite approach. If a scuffle has broken out and you simply pull the dogs apart you risk causing serious injury where there would have been very minor ones at most had you not done so.

Personally I keep on leash meetings to a minimum. If the other owner is clearly not bothered that their dog is approaching mine I generally either give Spen the say hello cue, allow a brief sniff and move on after a few seconds (let's go cue, not pulling him away). Or, rightly or wrongly, I let him off leash so they can meet without me causing problems. People here are pretty good about keeping their not friendly dogs under control though.