HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mjemere
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm

HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by mjemere » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi everyone. I recently adopted a 3 year old Maltese from a family that didn't have time for her. Thing is, she is NOT housetrained so I crate her during the day until I come home from work which is about 9 hours. My other dog who is 2 yrs old I let roam the apartment because he IS housetrained. Now, this is the thing, when I come into my room where the crate is she sees me and starts jumping, barking and spinning out of excitement and she ends up peeing a little and sometimes peeing a lot. I asked her previous owner did she do that with her and she said no. She said but she didn't put a leash on her or anything. She would open the door and then open the kennel door for her to run out and do her business. I live in an apartment so I have to put a leash on her. I'm not sure if its excitement pee or just the fact that she has been holding it SO long she just has to go. What should I do???? I tried keeping her in the bathroom so she has more room to move around and she still does it. UGHHH . Help please!!!! :?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-UnAL ... 141750.jpg

User avatar
Nettle
Posts: 10719
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by Nettle » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:06 am

Assuming this is genuine, and for anyone out there just reading, it is not acceptable to keep a dog crated for this length of time, and I am really surprised you can't understand why she pees when you get home.

Please reorganise her life so that she is taken out at least once and preferably twice during the time you are away.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS

mjemere
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by mjemere » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:19 am

Nettle wrote:Assuming this is genuine, and for anyone out there just reading, it is not acceptable to keep a dog crated for this length of time, and I am really surprised you can't understand why she pees when you get home.

Please reorganise her life so that she is taken out at least once and preferably twice during the time you are away.

Of course this is genuine. Her pee is more excitement pee rather than pee because of holding it too long. I have another dog and he waits for me to get home. I know plenty of dogs that hold it up to 10 hours crated or not so that's why I even asked the question. Your snarky reply was not needed.

User avatar
Nettle
Posts: 10719
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by Nettle » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:31 am

Was very polite considering what I would have liked to have said :wink: Because a dog can doesn't mean a dog should.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS

mjemere
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by mjemere » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:33 am

Nettle wrote:Was very polite considering what I would have liked to have said :wink: Because a dog can doesn't mean a dog should.

Yes, I understand that but I'm a new dog owner. Ive only had my 1st one for 8 months now so if I'm coming here for help its because I really need it. Not for sarcasm. Oh and if that was a "polite" reply to a genuine question, don't bother replying to me again. Thanks.

Erica
Posts: 2694
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:35 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by Erica » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:21 am

I would second trying to find a dog walker or friendly neighbor to take her out once or twice while you're at work to see if that helps. Like people, dogs have differing bladder capacities. I know a dog who won't pee outside if it's storming, and will wait up to 24 hours to potty, but that's not exactly healthy. I know adult dogs who can't go more than four hours without a break. Your new Maltese probably finds it difficult to hold it in that long. :) All dogs are different!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14

mjemere
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by mjemere » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 am

Erica wrote:I would second trying to find a dog walker or friendly neighbor to take her out once or twice while you're at work to see if that helps. Like people, dogs have differing bladder capacities. I know a dog who won't pee outside if it's storming, and will wait up to 24 hours to potty, but that's not exactly healthy. I know adult dogs who can't go more than four hours without a break. Your new Maltese probably finds it difficult to hold it in that long. :) All dogs are different!

Yes, I agree all dogs are different. OK, I'll look into getting a dog walker. Thank you! :)

Nix1234
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:14 am

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by Nix1234 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 am

Hi mjemere,

I would definately look at getting a dog walker like the others suggested. She's probably having trouble holding it for such a long time, but the problem is that if she repeatedly soils her crate because she physically can't hold it, she will lose that natural inhibition not to soil her den, which will make housetraining really really hard.

Hope this helps! x

jacksdad
Posts: 4879
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by jacksdad » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:17 pm

mjemere wrote:Her pee is more excitement pee rather than pee because of holding it too long.
possible it's excitement, but given how long she is asked to hold it, I would bet serious money full bladder is a significant factor here.

I STRONGLY encourage you to explore ways to give your dog a break at the 4 to 5 hour point while your gone. this is critical to their health and will go a long ways to helping with an excitement pee issue...may not 100% fix, but will help.

Also it is vital you do not get fooled into the myth (well not entirely myth, but as applied myth is the right word) that dogs will not pee in their "dens" (aka crate). Of course they will do their best to not pee in their beds, confined space. BUT dogs are not machines, sooner or later if you continue as you are your dog WILL have to go, no choice as biology does have it's limits, and relieve them self in their crate. not only will your dog now be trapped in their own mess, but that raise health issues and make maintaining solid house training very difficult to maintain.

I would also strongly encourage you to work on house training if you are not. putting dog in the crate isn't house training. it does not teach the dog where to go, only to hold it for longer and longer periods until finally some day they can't hold it and then go in the crate.

I realize you are new to this, but please do take the advice to heart and understand we all just want to help you do and achieve what is best for your dog..just like you do.

JudyN
Posts: 6986
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Dorset, UK
Contact:

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by JudyN » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Take my word for it, it doesn't take too much excitement when you have a full bladder to have unfortunate consequences... :lol:

Make sure that she gets plenty of physical and mental stimulation when you are at home as well, because she's spending a large part of the day inactive. Is her crate the one in the photo? It's too small to give her the opportunity to do anything, or even stretch out - which is good for housetraining as she won't be able to choose one corner to be a toilet, but not a way she'd choose to spend the day.

When you say she still does it in the bathroom, do you mean that she still pees when you get home, or does she pee in the bathroom while you're out?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009

emmabeth
Posts: 8894
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: West Midlands
Contact:

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by emmabeth » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi there,

The reason Nettle asked if your post was genuine was because the link looked like it might be spam (which it does because you didn't say 'here is a pic of my dog').


9 hours is too long to be crated for, I can appreciate why you are doing that but its really not kind and just because your other dog can last that long doesn't mean this one can do so quite so easily, so I would second the advice to get a dog walker or pet sitter to come in and let your dog out part way through the day, as well as actively teaching her to potty outside too.

I have to say, I would struggle to last 9 hours during the day!

If you absolutely cannot get a dog walker in a couple of times a day or at least once a day, then I would set up an xpen with her crate inside it - put a litter tray with some turf in it as far away as the xpen allows for, and when you are home, really work hard on encouraging her to pee/poo on turf outside, so that she gets that turf is what she is to go on and can use the indoor turf when you are gone. (You will need to get a couple of pieces of turf at least, or possibly you could use astro-turf type fake grass over a sand filled litter tray if you have no outdoor space at all to let the turf rest as it needs sunlight or it will die).

Please do use turf/astroturf over sand and NOT puppy pads, because these are not a surface she will find outdoors, and they will feel under a dogs paws, much like carpet, throw rugs etc which causes confusion that is nto the dogs fault at all!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant

Steve29
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:12 am
Location: IN
Contact:

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by Steve29 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:01 am

While I totally agree that the dog needs to get out more through the day (I don't even like to see dogs stay indoors all day), I think there are a couple of things you might do to help this dog. You say the dog is not house trained, but the other owner did not have a problem, this may or may not be the whole story.

Here are a couple of things to try. Do not scold the dog when it has an accident, just calmly :) wipe up the mess. Don't rush in the door and make a big deal about seeing the dog, just ignore it at first and approach it later as it settles down. When you do show attention, after doing the potty thing, spend a little time playing with the dog outside where it is no problem if it has an accident. Give it praise and a treat for going in the right place.

You need to get the dog house trained as soon as you can. Find someone to walk the dog through the day and try to hold the excitement down. Getting more exercise may do a lot for it. Good luck with you new dog.

mjemere
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by mjemere » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Steve29 wrote:While I totally agree that the dog needs to get out more through the day (I don't even like to see dogs stay indoors all day), I think there are a couple of things you might do to help this dog. You say the dog is not house trained, but the other owner did not have a problem, this may or may not be the whole story.

Here are a couple of things to try. Do not scold the dog when it has an accident, just calmly :) wipe up the mess. Don't rush in the door and make a big deal about seeing the dog, just ignore it at first and approach it later as it settles down. When you do show attention, after doing the potty thing, spend a little time playing with the dog outside where it is no problem if it has an accident. Give it praise and a treat for going in the right place.

You need to get the dog house trained as soon as you can. Find someone to walk the dog through the day and try to hold the excitement down. Getting more exercise may do a lot for it. Good luck with you new dog.
Thanks Steve. I spoke to a dog walker today and she is going to start this Tues. after the holiday. I am currently housetraining her by taking her out and praising her and giving her treats when she goes to potty. I'm hoping that she will eventually "tell" me or show me she has to go like my other dog does. Right now she hasn't had an accident in the house because when Im home I take her out every 3-4 hours. The previous owner didn't have a problem with the excitement pee BUT she would just let her out ALL day with the cats so she never housetrained her. Then at night she would sleep in the crate. She is a lovely sweet and smart little girl and she gets along GREAT with my other dog. I'm going to do all I can to make it work! Thanks again. :D

jacksdad
Posts: 4879
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by jacksdad » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:51 am

I am glad you took the advice and are making progress. Good for you and your dog. dogs going to the bathroom in the house is a top source of stress for everyone, human and dog.

keep up the good work.

mjemere
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: HELP! My dog has excitement pee

Post by mjemere » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:56 am

jacksdad wrote:I am glad you took the advice and are making progress. Good for you and your dog. dogs going to the bathroom in the house is a top source of stress for everyone, human and dog.

keep up the good work.
Thank you, I just want to do what is best for her. Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

Post Reply