Neutered Pup aggressive after play

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dljordan22

Neutered Pup aggressive after play

Post by dljordan22 »

I have a client who has a male neutered 5 to 6 month old puppy (shepherd/red heeler mix). She is fostering him from a shelter and preparing him for adoption. He's been a perfect boy for the 2 months she's had him, he did get neutered when she began fostering. She has two other dogs who are very people and dog friendly and who he has played with and been around without issues. He's been taught all the basic obedience commands as well as sit and wait before eating and treats. He's even been taught to "Stop, Drop and Roll" as he loves to have his belly rubbed. He's taken swimming off leash and walks off leash and at heel. He has a great recall as well. He came to the shelter with severe skin issues and hardly any fur. He is now furry and healed. He's taken to the vet's office typically once a week in order to not have fear of the vet. The vet tech loves him as he loves to play and likes to sit on a blanket and be pulled all over...he gets excited and has a great time. He also loves playing with other dogs and not just the dogs that he lives with. Within the last 2 weeks he's began becoming aggressive...typically after a time of play or excitement, then he suddenly stiffens, his bristles go up and he begins growling. After a round of play with the vet tech, the tech got in the floor as always to pet and love on him and he suddenly acted as if he didn't know who she was and stiffened with his bristles up. She got up and walked by him, touched him and he bit her...no blood, but he bit none the less. I don't understand the sudden change. I could understand if he had harsh training (which he hasn't had) or wasn't allowed to play, but none of this is the case. He has been and still does play and loves it, but at the end (even with his "friends") he becomes aggressive and turns and goes after them. Please help!
Nettle

Re: Neutered Pup aggressive after play

Post by Nettle »

I'm surprised that the vet tech didn't recommend some tests. This might be a health issue rather than a behavioural one, so you need to eliminate health concerns first, and especially brain changes such as epilepsy. He needs full blood profiles too.

Assuming a clean bill of health, then you need someone very experienced in behaviour who can see exactly what is going on, because we can only do so much from a distance. Do not use anyone who uses words like alpha, pack or dominance. And it's better to find a person who is used to the shepherd (I assume you mean Australian shepherd rather than German shepherd?) and heeler mindset because they have an attitude that needs someone used to their ways.

keep us in the loop - once you know what's what, we can help, but we know the limitations of distance help too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Can you describe exactly what happens? What sort of game was being played (in all instances that it has occurred), how/why did it end (did the dog stop playing or did the human stop playing)? Any chance he's guarding a toy? Does the aggression start immediately and how does it manifest itself? Like does he only do it if people are trying to still interact with him or will he do it even if people aren't super close to him? If people aren't near him will he aggressively approach them/charge them? What does he do if people walk out of the room? How long does the aggressive episode usually last and how does it end? Does he go lay down, just suddenly snap out of it, or what? Without seeing the behavior it's really hard to get an idea of what's going on, so the best we can do is a detailed description. You said it typically happens after play, so I assume it has happened other times too, what were those situations? I know it's a client so you may not have all of the details, but the more the better.

Sounds like a very strange behavior, I'd definitely want to make sure medical issues are ruled out.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. My KelpieX used to do something similar, when seemingly conflicted with a mixture of play, overexcitement, genetics, and at least some mismanagement by previous owner/s. No blood shed though (mostly).

Heelers are called heelers for a reason, and generally don't need any extra encouragement to use their teeth (like rough-handling/play-fighting with people and dogs, being rubbed, pulled, and loved on, and possible medical issue/s), plus this one is a six months old juvenile. From the description of the vet-tech/office, I'd be more surprised if the dog *didn't* bite.

I assume the foster carer has some understanding of the breed/mix and importance of appropriate exercise, mental exercise/stimulation, training and training practice daily, walks, games, ample time allowed for rest, etc.

Cheers. :)

Just a note. Has the foster carer contacted the shelter/rescue staff about the issue?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.