Dog humps cats

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gabbyshell

Dog humps cats

Post by gabbyshell »

I have an issue with my 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier (Oliver) humping the cats (Lloyd and Asher). When we only had 1 cat (Lloyd), the 2 were close in age and grew up together. When Oliver would hump Lloyd, the cat would usually respond by wrestling with the dog. Now we have a newer cat (have had him for a year, Asher is 3). Oliver humps Asher every chance he gets. I thought once the newness wore off, Oliver would leave him alone. But it's been year. I correct Oliver and tell him to "leave it" when he starts humping (even catch him in the act of mounting and nip it in the bud), and he'll stop. And I praise him when he stops and/or is calm around Asher. But if I turn my back his right back to it! He knows it's not "allowed" because sometimes I only have to look at him and he stops and comes to me. I don't understand!!
Maxy24

Re: Dog humps cats

Post by Maxy24 »

Does he hump anything else (will he hump a toy)? Humping can be hard, I work at doggy daycare and there are some dogs that are just so driven to hump I almost feel bad for them. They look super anxious, panting, eyes bugging out. Some of them won't go to the bathroom until the dog of their obsession is gone. I think the easiest/most successful way to fix it would be getting him to redirect to a toy if he's into that. Otherwise you'd need to limit his access to the kitties so he can only be with them if you're supervising and can stop him EVERY SINGLE TIME. Try and do it before he actually starts humping because humping is self reinforcing.

Also (or perhaps most importantly)) make sure he's getting enough exercise and mental stimulation. If he's got a lot of pent up energy and is bored or frustrated that could be a big part of the problem.

Also I can't believe you have cats that just let him hump them, those are some tolerant kitties.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Let us look at his average day and maybe we can help now. Humping is often stress relief or boredom relief, as Maxy says, and the fact that the cats allow it shows that the only person bothered is you.

Get a big soft cushion or plush toy for him to hump instead and redirect him each time he looks as if he is going to start on a cat. Also understand that he does not know it isn't 'allowed', all he knows is that you don't like him doing it. Therefore going back to it when your back is turned, as far as he understands, is fine. Nor is praise when he stops any kind of reward. So redirect to his humpy toy and give a decent reward, and look at what he might be needing in his daily life.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Also, make sure Asher has an escape route - maybe a high shelf he can get on to that Oliver can't.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009