Shadows

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Shadows

Post by delladooo »

With the nights drawing in I was wondering if anyone could give me any quick advice. The background to this is that Laufey's doing really well with the house training thing BUT will only go on grass (oops) but seeing as we don't have any in our garden (working on it) we nip out the back to the park...

Of an evening it's starting to be dark out and while the park does have some lighting where Laufey likes to poo is quite dark, hence shadows, in particular my shadow on a wall, which he proceeds to bark at, and it makes him jumpy for the rest of the 'walk'. Is this something I should be worried about or something to ignore? I don't want him jumpy when we go out all winter, especially as I don't know how our schedule will change when uni starts again but I don't know how to combat him being wary of things in the dark seeing as I'm extra vigilant too. (Don't know if it makes a difference but I have is lead attached to my belt so assumed any vibes would be reduced). Thanks :D
Nettle

Re: Shadows

Post by Nettle »

I'd be working on the grass-in-garden, even if it means putting down some turf in a sheltered area termporarily. You have your own safety to think of as well. And if you are anxious, so will Laufey be.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

The solution we've come up with is to try planting grass in a large tray and trying to encourage him to go there. Our yard was all concrete and he had just started going on it (and digging the concrete up) when my mum decided to pull it all up to reveal the old victorian slate underneath it, both because Laufey had reopened filled holes and because she prefers the slate, we're just waiting to get around to planting it (she's hoping to get the concrete up completely before putting anything else out there) and for it to then grow which hopefully won't be long :)
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

So, I planted the grass and then it was taking too long to grow so I've bought some turf. he now has two grass "litterboxes" in the garden, any advice on getting him to use them? I have no idea how to start when I've been physically taking him out multiple times a day to pee :?
frozen3

Post by frozen3 »

Hi Delladooo

Ok well what you need to do is go back to basics. every time he eats, drinks, wakes up and after play let him out in the garden and as soon as he dose his business praise him and reward for pooing/ peeing outside. sometimes I had to be patient with my shepherds as it took any ware from 10-20 mins before they did anything but its well worth the wait. after a wile my sheps were asking to go out once they had learned they had to go outside.

Good luck
FROZEN
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

We tried that when toilet training him to begin with and would could be out there for hours (literally, I was once out there for 2 hours before giving up) and he wouldn't do anything, hence why we started going out. I literally couldn't get him to pee, any idea on that?
Nix1234

Post by Nix1234 »

Hi delladooo,

Have you tried getting him to pee on command?

In the beginning stages say a phrase as he pees (e.g GO PEE). Do this whenever/wherever he pees, like on your normal walks in the park etc. When he's finished peeing I would click treat him. Repeating this often will help him connect the phrase GO PEE with what he's doing (peeing).

Then later if there is any behaviour that you know comes before he is about to pee - eg cocking leg/circling/extra sniffing etc, say GO PEE just before he does...and then click treat. Eventually you should be able to elicit the peeing from the GO PEE command (or whatever you want to call it :) ).

Check out this link: http://www.doggiebuddy.com/topics/Train ... opic3.html (eliminate on command is number 16). It may explain it better than I can!

And sorry if you've already tried this before with Laufey and I've missed it somewhere! ;) x
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Hi Nix,

I am working on this actually :lol: it's seems to be slow progress though so I'm not sure it's going to work any time soon. I've not tried clicker with it though, I might try with the clicker see if that helps any :D
Nix1234

Post by Nix1234 »

Good luck! it always looks so much straight forward and quicker in the tutorials than it actually is in real life haha ;) x
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Exactly, I feel like there's something I'm missing :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Patience :wink:

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

What is this strange concept you speak of?! I have never heard of it :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:lol:

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Is it mean not to take him out when I know he needs to pee? He can get in the garden and I keep going out with him and telling him to pee but he is not getting the idea. He is giving me clear signs he needs to but just won't in the garden. Driving me insane right now.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Did he go? Or are you still out in the garden with him? :lol:

I can't answer your question, but I am interested to know if his bladder gave up in the end... or if you did!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009