Excitement barking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Tacws

Excitement barking

Post by Tacws »

I have two patter-doodles, brother and sister, who are two years old. My garden is at the front of the house and every time another dog goes by they bark. They bark for about 20 seconds and then that's it, this happens about 6 times a day and is bothering a couple of neighbours so I really need to stop this.
I cannot see people approaching due to fencing, and am having trouble stopping them from barking. I have started to use a clicker which sometimes works. I need to find a way of letting them know that it's not ok to bark at passers by. Other than this they are obedient and good natured.
Any ideas welcome......please
goldenpaws

Re: Excitement barking

Post by goldenpaws »

Make sure they are getting plenty of physical and mental stimulation throughout the day because a tired dog is less likely to react. I had the same problem with my 2-year old Labrador who would go crazy every time a dog walked passed our house. I watched this video from Its Me Or The Dog and tried it with my dog. IT WORKED! My dog rarely reacts to other dogs now. He learned that dogs walking by the house was okay and if he didn't react, good things happen. Check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5cj4Z-7z8