how do i stop my dog eating cat poop???

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rachelinlv

how do i stop my dog eating cat poop???

Post by rachelinlv »

even after telling him no he still continues to eat the cat poop from the litter box on odd occassions - we have a closed litter box but because the dog is small he gets straight in there when the cat gets out?? Please help any ideas??
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

anything you do to distract the dog from it will scare the cat off, which will cause them to use the box... elsewhere.

Put the box where the dog cant get it, ours is a covered box and its in the bathroom turned facingthe toilet, the cat can get in but the dog cant, the other option is to put it up on a tall shelf in a room the dog cant harrass them in, the cat can jump up onto tall things to use the box.

Good luck deterring your dog from the Kitty-Roca it's a task thats sure.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Put the litter box where the dog cant get it.

Empty the litter box the minute you hear the cat use it.

Unfortunately, the diet a cat eats is, even as poop, very tasty to dogs and short of scaring the living daylights out of your dog each time he goes near the litter tray, you are not going to achieve what you want here by training the dog.

Dogs are instinctively scavengers and you are going to have a very very unhappy dog if you try to overrule those instincts by telling him off all the time.

You COULD attempt to teach him to come and get you for a treat each time he sees the cat use the litter box - you would need to look up clicker training and do that with him first (its a pretty difficult trick but its do-able depending on how much effort you put in), and if your dog is working hard for you he may not be so eager to seek out the thrills of kitty poop eating..

Or he may be as addicted to the taste as I am to chocolate, in which case you are going to struggle to find a reward tastier (and then what do you do when kitty goes toilet when you are not home?)

Is it possible to get a litter box with a door on it, activated by a magnet on a collar, or make the box inaccessible to the dog? This is the easier, less stressful way round it for all concerned.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

This may be a bit off topic, as its not cat poo but horse poo. I can understand cat poo smelling like dog food, but what's the attraction with horse poo?
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

I believe it's the sweetness of the hay...... a certain ginger chap likes the whole rabbit food you can buy....... the poos were many and largggggggggggggee!!! :roll: :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Herbivore dung is part-digested vegetable material which is important nutritionally for dogs. It won't harm them - just don't let them lick your face afterwards!!

If you feed fresh fruit and vegetables, most dogs don't feel the need to eat much of this - unless as Emmabeth says, they have become addicted.
spurzem

poop eating puppy--the simple fix

Post by spurzem »

Here's what I did---I simply put the cat box into the laundry room and then installed a kitty door into that room. My pup can't get in there to get into the litter box. And the cat learned to use the door in a heartbeat. Good luck.