Help! Severely traumatized rescue dog.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cranleigh

Help! Severely traumatized rescue dog.

Post by cranleigh »

Hi there,

I've just started working with an extremely timid dog at my local rescue. I'm a new volunteer so any advice would be so greatly received.

What we know:
3-4 yrs old, multi breed.
Abandoned by previous owner. Probably abused. Left in woods.
Had paw caught in trap for 3 days before found and lost part of the paw.
Has been at the rescue for 6mths and just sits on his bed shaking or shallow breathing . He's obviously very traumatized but has never shown any signs of aggression, just very timid. You can pet him, other dogs can approach him. He doesn't growl, doesn't pull away, just sits very still as if trying to be invisible. He waits til night time to go to the toilet, eat and explore his pen.

The rescue are at a bit of a loss as they've said they have never had a dog who is so anxious but never aggressive who hasn't at least begun to trust someone.

So I've offered to try to help socialize him and gain his trust. I spent the morning, just sat on the floor near him, not looking at him and occasionally chatting and stroking him. He just sat there submissively. As I'm new to this, I'm at a loss as to how I should approach things. How can I be of most help to this beautiful, gentle dog who's been treated so badly. As he's not aggressive, is there still hope he could be rehomed or are some timid dogs beyond rehabilitation? I'm reading up on the topic to try to educate myself but any tips/advice or experiences to share would be so helpful.

Thanks
Nettle

Re: Help! Severely traumatized rescue dog.

Post by Nettle »

Certainly you can help, and how lovely of you to think of it - and the Rescue for letting you.

Critical to this would be knowing the dog's breed mix/type. Could you post some photos? We are pretty good here at analysing what is in a dog. We need some sideways on, then head close-up, tail and paws.

Meantime, what you are doing now is so right - just sit in his pen and ignore him. Read a book (not a newspaper - it crackles and flaps) and read some of it out loud. Don't approach him or stroke him. Let him come to you, and when he does, murmur a brief acknowledgement and ignore him again. Less is more with this type of rehab. When he is brave enough to touch you, don't touch him back. This will help him to assess you in his own time. When he is ready to be touched, he will poke you with nose or paw. Make your reciprocal touch light, brief, only once, and not around his head. Chest and side strokes are safest as far as he is concerned.

I don't know how accommodating the Rescue is, but really he should not be exposed to other dogs or be expected to endure being touched at the moment. This is why he has not yet come out of his shell - people are going too fast with him.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

cranleigh wrote:He doesn't growl, doesn't pull away, just sits very still as if trying to be invisible.
Just to add to what Nettle has advised, basically what you are describing is a dog who is so scared he "shuts down" in these situations. It's important to know this as people can describe this behaviour as a "submissive dog" or a "calm dog" when in fact the dog is so terrified it's effectively given up on a fight or flight response.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
cranleigh

Post by cranleigh »

Really helpful responses, thanks. I think you're right that less is more in regard to my interactions with him.

Re: Breed. He's a total mix as he's an indigenous village in Hong Kong. Some of these dogs are adopted and make great pets and others are feral or kept as guard dogs living outside and can be very aggressive.

I think you're right about him shutting down. With these types of dogs I'm wondering if some never "come back". Perhaps there is just too much to get over.

Would aromatherapy or some other approach be suitable?

Just wondering how much help I can actually be with only a couple of opportunities a week for companionship.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Not aromatherapy (I worked as an aromatherapist for some years) but if you can get Adaptil, it would be worth trying it in his kennel, preferably as a spray onto a towel, so he can avoid or approach it as he wishes. Not all dogs like Adaptil so it's important he can get away from it if he wants to. I have trialled herbal calming scent sprays and my dogs did NOT like them, so we have to be careful. :)

You'd be amazed how much progress you get by doing nothing. Honestly. Think of the dog as the equivalent of a shell-shocked soldier. People may have always been The Enemy. Give him time and he will discover that this human (you) leaves him alone. But he may never extrapolate that to All Humans.

You can be immense help even with only a couple of visits a week. You may make more progress if you split each visit into ten to fifteen minute sessions, let him get over that for half an hour or so, then back for another short session and continue for as long as you can be there each time.

mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. For many dogs, a brief experience of a shelter environment can be frightening, let alone having to endure it permanently or semi-permanently.

I may get hate comments for this, but it's another line of thought. What is the likelihood of the dog being fostered out and/or re-homing to a loving and understanding family life? Do you think it would be in the dog's best interest to extend the time of it's suffering? Is it a no-kill shelter? They can be a double-edged sword.

If you could give the dog the time and the permanent care it deserves, I'd say grab the opportunity and do what the good folks here have suggested, but what's in the dog's best interest? I can't answer. Best wishes.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's a very valid point, MBF. Many are the dogs I see in Rescue that would be better served by a couple of days of good meals and then euthanasia. Constant fear or constant pain mean zilch quality of life for them, and no amount of human "love" would make it any different.

cranleigh

Post by cranleigh »

It's a no kill shelter. Because the dog is so unresponsive and timid I think it's unlikely he'd be adopted. In my naïveté, I'm thinking hey I can be the one to save this dog, but I have 3 kids, youngest is 2yrs and even if this dog gains some confidence I can't imagine him being happy in such a busy household even a loving one. Am I dreaming to hope that's a possibility?

I guess the shelter are holding onto the hope that because he's not a biter, he may have a chance.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

MBF, good suggestions.

If this dog is stressed out, afraid etc, getting him into a qualified (key point there) foster home is in this dogs best interest. There is very good odds this dog is a "project" and few people are qualified or want this in a dog. Which means euthanasia could be the kindest thing for this dog if the only other option is living in a loud, scary kennel environment.

Also, don't assume the dog isn't a "biter". I seriously doubt anyone has spent enough time with this dog in enough situations to truly know if this dog is a biter.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

All dogs will bite if pushed too far, and the bite from fear hurts as much as a bite from any other reason. Dogs that shut down can come out like tigers if the situation gets too big for them.

Your household would need so much management to house this chap that you would be run ragged, and your children would suffer because you would be fraught at keeping everyone apart. Truly, the kind of person with the knowledge, the circumstances and the will to help dogs like this will already have too many of their own.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can. An unthreatening human presence, not too close, might come as a blessed relief for this dog. Someone there who doesn't want to interact or make him do things. While each case is different, and none of us have seen him, it is highly unlikely that this dog would ever be able to fit into a 'normal' dog-keeping arrangement.

contedefees

Post by contedefees »

This dog sounds very similar to my own, though my dog was from a foster household and not a shelter. I'm sure being in a shelter is not helping at all.

My dog, a 5-6 year old rescue, was very similar. Always shut-down or when he was outside, he was always trying to run away and hide, like everything was a threat.

So from my experience I would say start with just hanging out with the dog in silence. Do something else, read a book, be as silent as possible, just present. In my experience, this is a very, very, very slow process. I don't think my dog approached me at all for at least a month, no sniffing, no taking food or treats from my hand. Basically, I wouldn't expect a lot from this dog any time soon.

If you can be involved in feeding, that would probably help also, just putting the food in front of him and backing up and hanging out, ignoring him again. He might not eat until you leave, but might begin to associate you with good things (food). Getting him to trust one person (you) is a good plan, and totally do-able, but you need to not step over his boundaries as it will take longer to develop trust then (not impossible, just harder and longer).

It is totally not impossible that he can be adopted, the shelter might just have to be more active in finding people, maybe even far away. But getting out of a shelter into a place where he can feel comfortable will make a huge difference. Severely traumatized dogs can be rehabilitated, but the environment is a big factor, along with the commitment of the owner. I've only had my dog since October and he started in the same place - while my dog still has some issues we are working on, he has been waking me up every morning with his tail wagging for months now and gets very excited for training sessions (treats) and is a completely different dog from when I first brought him home. There is hope, it will just take a long time.
contedefees

Post by contedefees »

Oh, I forgot to mention, a "safe space" also really helped my dog. An area where he didn't have to worry about people coming up to him and touching him (besides to put his leash on and take him out). I had to get a crate for him (he got a pulmonary thromboembolism from heartworms, was not allowed to walk around at all) and he loved being in that crate and would never want to leave, I think because he felt much safer in there. Or a particular corner. The only downside to a crate is that it was impossible to get him out of there back when he wasn't even responding to treats.
cranleigh

Post by cranleigh »

Appreciate your response. Nice to know there might be some hope.

I spent the morning with Red today. I just sat quietly in the corner ignoring him. He just sat very still, looking at me side on, breathing a little quickly. He wasn't panicking at my presence but eyes and ears twitching a lot and conscious of every sound that I or the other dogs made. From the look in his eyes he just looked broken. I did approach him few minutes before leaving. When I stroked him he remained absolutely still pretending I wasn't there. Didn't recoil or move position. It's like he expects to be beating so no point in hiding.

I know I have weeks, months, or perhaps never but if he does start to acknowledge my presence , other than ignore him is there anything I should do. How might I use positive reinforcement with a dog like this?

Thanks
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh dear. How we humans love to push boundaries. You undid all your good work that day by forcing yourself on him and touching him :(

Please just be with him and ignore him. Don't touch him, don't look at him, don't talk to him, nothing. You may have weeks and weeks of this. Be patient. No, more patient than that.

You are a long long way yet from training. The most positive reinforcement you can use right now is to reward him by ignoring him. You meant well - of course you did - but touching him was a punishment to him. I'm sure others in the kennel environment have been forcing themselves on him too, and from the best of motives, but we have to see this from HIS point of view, which is that all humans represent a threat.

Next time he may be extra wary, thinking that you will touch him again and worrying about when. Forgive him and understand him. It's like the 'second boot' story - he will be all screwed up waiting for it to happen.

This can change - it may or it may not because they are all individuals - and nobody can foresee how much it can change or in what timescale. Stick with us and we will support you all the way. Well done for your kind intentions.

bendog

Post by bendog »

Just to maybe put it into perspective for you slightly - I'm a dog walker, there is one dog who is very very bonded and affectionate and loving with her owner, but very suspicious of anyone else. When her owner is there, she is more confident, and will approach you, play with you, etc. If her owner leaves, she panics.

I've been going round once a week to let the dog out for a wee whilst owner is at work for maybe the last 6 months or so. I have still NEVER stroked her, though she will now offer me her paw, and a nose touch. She's gone from hiding at the top of the stairs growling at me, to coming and lying on her bed and watching me (whilst I ignored her and read a book - but occasionally chucked treats), to following me outside for a wee. Now she will come and sniff my shoes, and initiate interactions hoping for treats (her favourite game is if I throw treats for her to catch, but she's also started offering sits, and paw).

One thing I do (and I'm not sure if the more experienced people like Nettle et al agree with this or not?) but whenever I visit a scared dog, whether they will take treats from me or not, I always scatter loads of really good treats (and I toss them AWAY from me, so if the dog does want them they don't have to come near me to get them) so that they associate me with good things even if they don't eat the treats until after I've left.

Keep movements slow and calm, but relaxed - I've found sometimes you can get so conscious of TRYING to move slowly and calmly that it becomes unnatural and stiff and that will freak a dog out more, don't make direct eye contact and don't reach towards the dog or try to touch the dog, even if he does eventually come and sniff you and investigate you - don't try to touch him. Sitting and reading really is the BEST thing I've found to ensure that I'm not tempted to try and put pressure on a dog because it gives ME something else to do, other than sit and try not to look at the dog in the corner!

It's also well worth being aware that some of these "shut down" dogs can explode when pushed, but also as they become less shut down, more of their communication may come out, which may well include growling or snapping.

Sadly like Nettle said earlier, the person who could help this dog, likely already has too many dogs of their own. I was offered a German Shepherd like this. But had to say no, because it wouldn't be fair on any of us.