My dog doesn't like foster dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DeeMarie55

My dog doesn't like foster dog

Post by DeeMarie55 »

I have a 6 year old min pin/beagle mix dog who loves people. As for dogs, once she gets to know the dog, she is fine with them.If walking her on a leash, she is very reactive with dogs she doesn't know and will bark and try everything to get at that dog to attack. Once that's done, they are friends.

I recently decided to foster a senior lab mix dog. Both dogs met at the shelter, did fine together, so we all went home. They do fine outside walking but once inside, my dog Khloe will attack her for no reason. The first few times my foster dog ran in the opposite direction but now she goes back at her. Thought maybe that would put Khloe in her place, but no.

Is there a way I can get my dog to accept the foster?
Sabrina

Re: My dog doesn't like foster dog

Post by Sabrina »

Hi there!

If you haven't already, separate them - you don't want to end up with injuries or possibly a death.

Is Khloe the same dog who didn't like a dog you adopted a year and a half ago? ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16095&p=116397#p116397 ) If so, what happened in that situation?

When female dogs take a dislike to each other - from my understanding, this is something that typically needs life-long management on your part to keep both dogs safe.

Could you add some more details?
-- An outline your dogs' typical schedule - If they had day-planners, what would they look like? The more detail the better!
-- Does the senior dog have health issues? Does Khloe have health issues?
Nettle

Re: My dog doesn't like foster dog

Post by Nettle »

You have a dog that doesn't like most other dogs and you have tried twice now to foist a stranger on her in her own home.

This isn't going to be what she wants. Another dog isn't going to be a 'friend' for her, but a rival. She has dogs she likes to meet when out, but she leaves them behind and enjoys her home life with you.

Put your dog's needs first - then you will have a happy dog. She doesn't want to live with another dog, and she certainly should not be put in a position of being 'put in her place' by another dog in her own home. She isn't attacking 'for no reason' - she doesn't want the other dog there. She's shouting but you aren't listening.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS