aggressive/after getting bit

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pattyb

aggressive/after getting bit

Post by pattyb »

just joined forum hope someone can help. my american eskimo snowy (5yrs old)has become very aggressive since being bitten by another dog. he gets along with my sons dog, and i had a boxer who he grew up with until i had to have her put to sleep because of illness, i think it can partly be my fault because when other dogs are near i pull back on him because im afraid he will be bit again. :cry: please help if you can as my neighbors think he is vicious[/quote]
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I highly recommend a couple of great books for this very thing: Emma Parson's Click to Calm and/or Fight, by Jean Donaldson. If you start at square one and go through the step by step process, outlined in Click to Calm, I think you could make some good progress. It's very, very good. This can happen and does to many dogs. Depending on his socialization history with other dogs during his first few months and what he experiences there after will play a large role in the outcome. But without a systematic desensatization and counter conditioning program, his view of many other dogs will likely be that of fear. That is what is driving his so called "aggression." This has to do with flight distance...something inherrent in every living thing. There are two ways to make more space between the bad guy and you....either you run away or make the other guy go away. Dogs vary in their style. Anyhow, get hold of those books. Good luck!
Training with my mind, not my hands.
Mollysmom

Re: aggressive/after getting bit

Post by Mollysmom »

pattyb wrote:just joined forum hope someone can help. my american eskimo snowy (5yrs old)has become very aggressive since being bitten by another dog. he gets along with my sons dog, and i had a boxer who he grew up with until i had to have her put to sleep because of illness, i think it can partly be my fault because when other dogs are near i pull back on him because im afraid he will be bit again. :cry: please help if you can as my neighbors think he is vicious
[/quote]

I think that your fears are spot on, while I agree in Carrie's training to reverse his aggressive tendencies, they're a moot point if everytime another dog comes around your inner voice goes "Oh lord!"
If you're pulling back the lead and becoming stressed yourself your dog will react to "protect" YOU! Not himself!
Think of him as a child for just a moment (Don't everyone jump me I've got a point dang it!)
If you had a young child... lets say around 3 years old... and they got burned by the stove. You'd treat the burn, ask them what they learned and send them on their way... you wouldn't shriek and grab them back everytime they looked at the stove would you?
I hope not! You'd have one Very anxious child on your hand at that point.

So Calm Down! Not all dogs will try to eat your pet! keep an eye on body language from other dogs, assure your dog that it's OK to meet new dogs, and work on what Carrie said as well.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

pattyb wrote:just joined forum hope someone can help. my american eskimo snowy (5yrs old)has become very aggressive since being bitten by another dog. he gets along with my sons dog, and i had a boxer who he grew up with until i had to have her put to sleep because of illness, i think it can partly be my fault because when other dogs are near i pull back on him because im afraid he will be bit again. :cry: please help if you can as my neighbors think he is vicious
[/quote]

I think that your fears are spot on, while I agree in Carrie's training to reverse his aggressive tendencies, they're a moot point if everytime another dog comes around your inner voice goes "Oh lord!"
If you're pulling back the lead and becoming stressed yourself your dog will react to "protect" YOU! Not himself!
Think of him as a child for just a moment (Don't everyone jump me I've got a point dang it!)
If you had a young child... lets say around 3 years old... and they got burned by the stove. You'd treat the burn, ask them what they learned and send them on their way... you wouldn't shriek and grab them back everytime they looked at the stove would you?

So Calm Down! Not all dogs will try to eat your pet! keep an eye on body language from other dogs, assure your dog that it's OK to meet new dogs, and work on what Carrie said as well.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
pattyb

thanks f9r your advice i will try it

Post by pattyb »

Carrie wrote:I highly recommend a couple of great books for this very thing: Emma Parson's Click to Calm and/or Fight, by Jean Donaldson. If you start at square one and go through the step by step process, outlined in Click to Calm, I think you could make some good progress. It's very, very good. This can happen and does to many dogs. Depending on his socialization history with other dogs during his first few months and what he experiences there after will play a large role in the outcome. But without a systematic desensatization and counter conditioning program, his view of many other dogs will likely be that of fear. That is what is driving his so called "aggression." This has to do with flight distance...something inherrent in every living thing. There are two ways to make more space between the bad guy and you....either you run away or make the other guy go away. Dogs vary in their style. Anyhow, get hold of those books. Good luck!
pattyb

Post by pattyb »

Carrie wrote:I highly recommend a couple of great books for this very thing: Emma Parson's Click to Calm and/or Fight, by Jean Donaldson. If you start at square one and go through the step by step process, outlined in Click to Calm, I think you could make some good progress. It's very, very good. This can happen and does to many dogs. Depending on his socialization history with other dogs during his first few months and what he experiences there after will play a large role in the outcome. But without a systematic desensatization and counter conditioning program, his view of many other dogs will likely be that of fear. That is what is driving his so called "aggression." This has to do with flight distance...something inherrent in every living thing. There are two ways to make more space between the bad guy and you....either you run away or make the other guy go away. Dogs vary in their style. Anyhow, get hold of those books. Good luck!
[/quote]
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Mollysmom wrote:

So Calm Down! Not all dogs will try to eat your pet! keep an eye on body language from other dogs, assure your dog that it's OK to meet new dogs, and work on what Carrie said as well.[/quote]

Absolutely. Your stress works the dog up more. Another thing you can do if it is too difficult to keep the leash loose and relax is to practice at home with no dogs around. Tighten up the leash, act a bit nervous and feed your dog fabulous but tiny treats. Gradually increase the intensity....but not to the point of hurting the dog, of course. The dog begins to associate that tightening or shortening of the leash with good things. Then go on to work with other dogs at a comfortable distance at first.

That Click to Calm has some terrific tid bits. If you follow her plan, I really think you'll see a change. I had a Doberman (recently deceased) that was that way with a lot of dogs and he was very strong...pulled me over prone on two occassions when he was young. He improved a lot after some desensetizing him to other dogs. Off leash, he was fine. And in classes he was fine...when he was in "working" mode.

Loved the analogy of the child with the hot stove. So very good.
Training with my mind, not my hands.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Do read the link posted by evaluv on another thread in here.

Personally I take charge and protect my dog by stepping in front - I have posted about this yesterday so please save me :lol: and have a read about this method.

Observe dog body language every time you see dogs and soon you will recognise which dogs are going to be a nuisance and which are friendly. Don't take any notice of what the owners say: they rarely have any idea.