leash training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dorman

leash training

Post by dorman »

Does anyone have any ideas how i can get my 9 week old english bulldog puppy to walk on a leash. He refuses to go on walks and just sits down.
griffin

Post by griffin »

There are many threads on this, just do a search. Oh and be patient, he is nine weeks old, still very much an infant. :lol:
dorman

Post by dorman »

Thanks for the reminder!!! :) I'll definately keep it in mind.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I wouldn't worry about walks at his young age other than around your own yard. What I do with new puppies is make certain that the leash is not something to fear or dislike. I just walk around the house and pat my thigh, make squeeky, playful noises and encourage the pup to come along with me. I drop tiny, tiny treats for him and make it all fun and games.

At other times, I put the leash on him and let him drag it around the house, always supervised so he doesn't get strangled or caught on something and frightened.

Then I'll put the leash on after a few days of this...and let him just walk around and I'll follow him a little and sometimes do the same thing I did without the leash....entice him, never, ever dragging or making anything unpleasant. Treats, squeeky toys, happy, playful voice and body language, patting your thigh....very short lessons. Don't wait until he's bored or tired of it. End while he's having fun and do something else.

If he is balking at coming along with the leash, it's because he hasn't a clue what he is to do. Just play with him without for a while longer, trying out the leash a little bit here and there. He's still very young and leash walks away from home aren't imperative yet. (although socializing with other people, safe, friendly, healthy dogs and all kinds of places is)Romping and learning that coming along with you is a terrifically fun and rewarding thing to do should be the main focus. If he bites and plays with his leash, don't worry about it now. That can be fixed later. Let him enjoy his leash...have fun with it for now if he wants.

Anyhow, thats how I start out with a young pup and then we go onto bigger and more sophisticated things a little later. Just remember to make yourself a trustworthy, fun and loving treat dispenser :lol: and your pup will come to love working with you.
Training with my mind, not my hands.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I wouldn't worry about walks at his young age other than around your own yard. What I do with new puppies is make certain that the leash is not something to fear or dislike. I just walk around the house and pat my thigh, make squeeky, playful noises and encourage the pup to come along with me. I drop tiny, tiny treats for him and make it all fun and games.

At other times, I put the leash on him and let him drag it around the house, always supervised so he doesn't get strangled or caught on something and frightened.

Then I'll put the leash on after a few days of this...and let him just walk around and I'll follow him a little and sometimes do the same thing I did without the leash....entice him, never, ever dragging or making anything unpleasant. Treats, squeeky toys, happy, playful voice and body language, patting your thigh....very short lessons. Don't wait until he's bored or tired of it. End while he's having fun and do something else.

If he is balking at coming along with the leash, it's because he hasn't a clue what he is to do. Just play with him without for a while longer, trying out the leash a little bit here and there. He's still very young and leash walks away from home aren't imperative yet. (although socializing with other people, safe, friendly, healthy dogs and all kinds of places is)Romping and learning that coming along with you is a terrifically fun and rewarding thing to do should be the main focus. If he bites and plays with his leash, don't worry about it now. That can be fixed later. Let him enjoy his leash...have fun with it for now if he wants.

Anyhow, thats how I start out with a young pup and then we go onto bigger and more sophisticated things a little later. Just remember to make yourself a trustworthy, fun and loving treat dispenser :lol: and your pup will come to love working with you.
Training with my mind, not my hands.
dorman

Post by dorman »

Thanks for your help!!! I've been working with Cutler(my puppy) and yesterday we made it all the way around our condo complex. I appreciate the advice :!: :D