Need help with puppy biting

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

capecupcake

Need help with puppy biting

Post by capecupcake »

My new puppy is now about 10 wks old and I also have 7 other dogs in the house which makes some training much more difficult. My problem is that the new puppy is biting quite a bit(not when I am playing with her). I have read Victoria's book and am doing the yipe or ouch and ignoring her. The problem is that she is doing this biting all of the time. If I ignore her, she just attacks something/one else (other dogs). If I try to distract her with a toy that only works for a split second. She also constantly tries to jump and bite my legs as I walk. I have tried to yipe, stand and ignore her and even throw a toy, but it all seems to not be working at all. I am at my wits end and am losing my patience. :shock: I know one of her issues is that she was taken away from her siblings too early, so I try to keep that in mind. I am sure there are more details I have left out, but will answer any questions if needed. What else can I do?
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

you didn't mention how the other dogs react to her/ how YOU react when the other dogs react/ and how old the other dogs are.

If the other dogs are a bit older and are established in the household (ie they get along with each other and you just fine) let THEM sort out her biting. If YOU yelp when she bites, and they growl when she bites.. (they know she's a pup and playing and will teach her "doggie manners" all on their own)
You should only intervene if it seems as though your pup is on the lunch menu. There are a number of other posts/threads with a number of knowledgable posters in this forum that will be able to help you determine when your older(?) dogs are just helping you out or whether they like pups and chips.
(bad joke I know)

however, if your other dogs aren't very well adjusted you'll need to supervise these lessons a bit better.
All in all, if I'm understanding you correctly, I wish I had your problem! I would give my big toe to have the opportunity to have other dogs around when Molly was a pup! (learning "people" skills when you're four is rough on a dog)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

you didn't mention how the other dogs react to her/ how YOU react when the other dogs react/ and how old the other dogs are.

If the other dogs are a bit older and are established in the household (ie they get along with each other and you just fine) let THEM sort out her biting. If YOU yelp when she bites, and they growl when she bites.. (they know she's a pup and playing and will teach her "doggie manners" all on their own)
You should only intervene if it seems as though your pup is on the lunch menu. There are a number of other posts/threads with a number of knowledgable posters in this forum that will be able to help you determine when your older(?) dogs are just helping you out or whether they like pups and chips.
(bad joke I know)

however, if your other dogs aren't very well adjusted you'll need to supervise these lessons a bit better.
All in all, if I'm understanding you correctly, I wish I had your problem! I would give my big toe to have the opportunity to have other dogs around when Molly was a pup! (learning "people" skills when you're four is rough on a dog)
capecupcake

Post by capecupcake »

I must have made my original post confusing. My problem is really with the puppy biting me, not the other dogs, which are almost all 10 yrs old. They put her in her place when she gets too rough, but most of the time she ignores them. The main thing is with her biting my legs/pants when I am just walking. I stop and say Ahh Ahh, but that doesn't phase her. I give her a toy to bite, but she drops it as soon as I start walking again.

I have read through a lot of other posts and got some ideas, but it seems the answer is to take away the play. What if you are not playing?
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

ah, i got the impression that when you got after her she went on a tear and harrassed the other dogs, my bad.

With Molly, she likes to play with my pant legs... as I'm attempting to put my leg into them in the mornings... or pajama pants... same deal. When enough is enough I've always used with her a sharp clap of my hands and a NO. (since shes nigh on 80lbs and falling on my duff isn't fun at 6am) I've never done the Ah Ah, I know it works, i've seen it, however, Molly responds really well to more of an Ahem! (a clearing of the throat thing... I dont know how to explain it) then I tell her to Go to Bed. (which when she was a pup with a crate meant "go to your room!" basically Tell her to go lay down or bugger off ... whatever suits

You might also rather than yelping and retreating play like the older dogs do, if you yelp and she still gives chase, then stop and turn to her and say something along the lines of Enough! (dogs will growl or airsnap if it gets to this point) speak firmly, as though you really mean it, and she should get the point.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

From my own experience of this particular problem (I have vast experinece of this, my pup was a land shark and I was permanently on the menu :shock: :lol: ) I think that you may be missing one vital element here.

If I yelped, went ahh ahh, or 'No' Ellie was totally unphased and often spurred on by the funny squeally noises that mummy made when she was eating me. Great fun!! As with your pup, she would then carry on, with vigour. Chomp!!

The only way to end this 'game' was to stop her from having access to my poor gnawed limbs. So Ellie chomps, I squeal / yelp, then out of the room door closed in Miss Chompy's face. Suddenly not so much fun. Mummy has left the building and Ellie is stood at the front of a closed door with no playmate. Hmmmm.

I then go back in ( you only need to leave it a matter of seconds any longer and they might not make the connection between them biting and you leaving), she bites, I yelp and leave, close door. Eventually (consistancy and the patience of Job required as always) she realises that biting is not the way to get mummy to play. And voila!! :D

Mollysmum, Ellie likes the trousers / pyjama game too. Flapping trouser legs seem to be a source of endless fun! When I get bored of this, and she is dancing around ragging at them I just drop them to the floor. Again suddenly not so much fun when they don't dance back. I am a killjoy I know, but as you say landing on your rear at 6am can give most people a sense of human bypass!

Love the 'pup and chips' thing. I did chortle. :lol:
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Here are a couple of my favorite articles on teaching bite inhibition. They're excellent! I encourage you to read them both.

http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt
Training with my mind, not my hands.
capecupcake

Post by capecupcake »

Thank you for the help. I am using some of those methods now. No real progress, but I know it takes time.

But now she is going after one of my older, smaller dogs. The older one can't defend herself and the puppy just thinks she is playing. What do I do?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Separate them and give the oldie a place where she can get some peace.