New rescue puppy 10 weeks old aggressive with food

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JonHound

New rescue puppy 10 weeks old aggressive with food

Post by JonHound »

Hi, we just rescued a second dog. Our first dog we got at 8 weeks (hes now 15 months), he is a great little dog, well behaved great with kids and dogs.

Our new dog is 10 weeks, medium mixed breed, maybe whippet cross staffy but were are not sure. She weighs 3 kg, looks under weight, he ribs and back haunches are visible. She is aggressive when food is near, it is only day two but she is getting better. She also resource guards us to a point.

Is there anything specific we should be doing to modify this behaviour?

Any help/advice would be great.
Sabrina

Re: New rescue puppy 10 weeks old aggressive with food

Post by Sabrina »

Hi there - welcome to the forum!

Where are you feeding your new puppy? If you aren't already feeding her by herself in a quiet, safe place away from your other dog, that's the first step. Food is so high in value, so make feeding time totally non-competitive by having her somewhere your other dog/children cannot approach her (eg, a separate room).

Could you describe more about "aggressive when food is near"? Is this just at her feeding time, or when any food stuff (your meals, snacks, etc) is around? What is her reaction exactly?

Who all is the "us" in your household and what does her "resource guarding" of you look like?

Since she has only been with you for two days, you may not have a schedule worked out yet. But if you outline a "typical" day in her life, that helps folks get a better picture of the situation. Also, has she had a full vet check/any known health problems?
JonHound

Post by JonHound »

Hi thanks for the reply,

So what is happening..

When being fed if my other dog goes anywhere near she growls and then attacks him. He doesnt respond much, he just walks away.

When she is sat on our lap if our original dog comes over she will growl and snap at him.

It might be that she is settling in and previously had to fight for food.

Hopefully she will settle when she realises there is not fighting for food here.

Today I went to pick her up to take her to the vet, she was chewing a beef tendon, she growled at me, my original dog pounced on her, he held her down while growling. She wet herself in fear.

So I have removed all chews and food items, have started feeding her in a seperate room. She is being fed 5 times per day until she puts on more weight.

Things are getting better already. They are both asleep next to each other on the sofa.

My original dog Jon is an awesome dog, he is behaving like she is fragile and although he is willing to pet her in her place he isnt being too rough. They have also had an awesome play together this morning, lots of play bowing and tug of war. He even let her win. She weighs 3kg he weighs 13k
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's very early days, but it's as well to address this sooner rather than later rather than hope that the problem will diminish as she settles in. The important thing is for her to feel safe and secure around food and know that no one is going to take it from her. Definitely keep them separated while they are eating, and remove chews, as you have been doing.

There's much more you can do to - have a read of our article in resource guarding viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18074 which should give you plenty of ideas :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JonHound

Post by JonHound »

thanks Judy, will take a look.

looks like feeding seperately is helping. she has a little diarrhoea today, am feeding chicken and rice and coconut water to drink. she also loves coconut ice cubes. I think she is settling well, both dogs are playing nicely, Nym tripped on the step earlier today and jon ran over to her and gave her a lick. he seems protective of her.

we will continue feeding seperately and make sure she knows that food will arrive every 3-4 hours.

Judy, i used to live in Bere Regis, now im in Melbourne Australia
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

JonHound wrote:Judy, i used to live in Bere Regis
Not that far from me then! I'm along the coast a bit, in Broadstone, just north of Poole :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

Is that Jon Snow and Nymeria? :D Even if it's not, Nym is a great name, regardless!

Good luck with your new pup
JonHound

Post by JonHound »

Yes and no lol Jon was originally named John by the rescue group, he was named after the vet who did the C-section, the pups were too big for a natural birth. I did drop the H and thought after of Jon Snow.

Nym is totally named after Nymeria, I find female names difficult and not a huge fan of typical dog names. Nym suits her, she has been a fighter and she is seriouslt cute. I would add a pic but the site wont let me :(
minkee

Post by minkee »

We love pictures :D But you have to upload them somewhere else, and then link them here. Lots of people use http://photobucket.com/ as an easy solution :)