One of our dog only listens to me (the wife)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Hisskitty

One of our dog only listens to me (the wife)

Post by Hisskitty »

Hi everyone. We have four rescues. All large dogs and very well treated and loved by myself and my husband. We are a happy pack and all of the dogs get along for the most part and see us both as the pack leaders. However our smallest guy, Angus a Border collie/Bassett mix (that is what they told us anyway) has started only listening to me. My husband gets up a few minutes earlier than me to let them all outside and the little one won't go. He runs back and jumps up on the bed with me. Even if I chase him off the bed he still won't go. This will happen throughout the day as well. He won't even go to eat in the morning if I don't go in there with all of them. He will keep running back to me. My husband usually feeds them at night also because I don't get home until 6 or 7 but he has not problems then because I'm not home yet. All in all my husband spends more time with them and when I'm not home he has no problems with Angus. Angus loves him and plays with him so I don't think he is afraid of my husband. My husband does have a loud voice and our roles with the dogs are generally my husband is the play friend and I am the cuddler. Although we both are strong leaders and I tend to be more firm with them when telling them to stay out of the kitchen while we are eating and so forth. I don't know how to fix this issue mainly because I'm not sure what is causing it. While it is flattering to think that Angus is simply a one woman dog it is causing problems and frustrating my husband. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would be happy to hear them.
Fundog

Re: One of our dog only listens to me (the wife)

Post by Fundog »

In order to solve the problem, we need to first find and understand the cause. So... put on your thinking cap and let's noodle. How's your health? Could you be going through something that Angus perceives you needing extra cuddles about? :?:

Are the dogs literally supervised when they are all outside together? If they are not getting 100% eyeball supervision (let dogs outside, close door, fix yourself a cup of coffee, listen for signal to come in, etc.), it is possible that the dogs could be quarreling/bullying Angus without your husband realizing. Whereas, when you are there, you are more astute and prevent such things happening, which makes Angus feel more secure.

These are just ideas....
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
norwichdogtrainer

Post by norwichdogtrainer »

Hi four rescues? Good for you. Do you have children? I have found this exact behaviour before (in a two dog house) where one of the dogs latched on to the female because it saw her as the pack leader (mum top dog, shouting at kids and husband etc :) ) but I agree that bullying could be a problem. I
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I strongly suggest not focusing on who you think is or is not being viewed a the "pack leader" by the dogs or taking any particular action to establish "pack leader" status. The primary reason is... it could actually be something being done (even though it is with the best of intentions) to "reinforce" you/or husband as "pack leader" that causing this problem. dogs actually don't really look for a "pack leader". their survival isn't dependent on a pack with a leader.

I would actually strongly encourage just observing for now, don't try and label or explain what you see, just note when X happens dog responds by doing Y. also note who is around, what is going around your dog etc. at the moment no detail is too small or of non relevance. Like Fundog says, little detective work is going to nee to be done.

it can be as simple as you are quieter, calmer and thus this is just a showing of preference to be around. it could be as fundog says, your dog sense something about you that has him worried health wise. there are lots of possible explanations, but when we limit our self to thinking in terms of "pack leader" and hierarchy etc. we close our self off to what might be right in front of us

My suggestion, if possible video tape your and your husbands interactions. watching how the dogs respond to you or him could shed some light.
Erica

Post by Erica »

As has been said, without being there it's impossible for us to say precisely why - but I'll share my experience that is similar to this. :)

I take care of a family's four dogs on a nearly daily basis. The kids have noticed that the dogs "love me more" than the family. I think it's because, to the dogs, I am safe and quiet. I do not pick the small dogs up all the time and squish-hug them; I do not pet any of the dogs on the top of their heads, or hug them, or even pet them if they do not ask for it first. I don't use loud noises to distract them when they're getting too excited. Instead of all this, I allow the dogs to approach me; I will pet them if they press themselves into my hand. I always leave them easy paths away from me if they're done with an interaction. I pet them gently on the chest and sides of the body. If they're getting too rambunctious, I pat the biggest dog on his back (to make him aware of me, and to signal my intentions) and then separate them with my body (ONLY if I am sure both know I am there and intend to separate them - getting between two large dogs playing could be dangerous!). Being able to "read" dogs' body language carefully is very helpful with skittish dogs and even confident ones!

Another difference between my interactions with those dogs and the family's is that I do clicker training with the dogs. Nothing specific, just free-shaping silly tricks. (The kids have started doing this too a bit, and already are seeing a difference in how much the smaller dogs trust and like them!) Even when I'm not interacting with the dogs, I'm just a low-key person, where most of their family is fairly energetic at all times - either loud and happy or loud and cranky. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14