How to train a dog to potty indoors AND outdoors

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mjemere

How to train a dog to potty indoors AND outdoors

Post by mjemere »

So my dog is 1 yrs old and he is trained to potty outside. Ive realized there will be times that it would be better if he had to option to potty inside because of the weather. So, I tried to tell him to potty on the puppy pads but he just rolled over on his back confused. So then I even put some of his pee on it so he could sniff and potty, he wouldn't. :(

Is it possible to train him to do both??? UGH Please help.
Ari_RR

Re: How to train a dog to potty indoors AND outdoors

Post by Ari_RR »

I can't think of such weather conditions that would make it better to potty inside. Unless you are in some really extreme climate zone?
I would look for some weather-resistant clothing... For you and your dog.
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

Ari_RR wrote:I can't think of such weather conditions that would make it better to potty inside. Unless you are in some really extreme climate zone?
I would look for some weather-resistant clothing... For you and your dog.

OK, really? I feel like he's suffering in the snow and rain :(
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

My Charley sympathizes with your Jack - he does not like going out in rain/snow!!! We have a big pine tree in our yard, and on really bad days I carry him out under the tree so he can potty in relative protection from the elements! :lol:

I recently read about someone setting up a greenhouse out on the lawn for her little dog to use in the winter - my husband and I are planning on investigating options for setting up some sort of "structure" (greenhouse, "lean to", etc) for next winter - kinda late to do anything for this season!

Because Charley will go outside to potty even when we doesn't like the weather (for adequate compensation, of course! :D ), I haven't really explored options for an indoor potty spot. Do you have a porch or deck... an area that isn't exactly "inside" but still kinda protected? If so, I remember one episode of IMOTD where Victoria set up a faux grass potty spot on the porch of an student housing appt.

Our poor little guys! I'm ready for spring, too!
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

Sabrina wrote:My Charley sympathizes with your Jack - he does not like going out in rain/snow!!! We have a big pine tree in our yard, and on really bad days I carry him out under the tree so he can potty in relative protection from the elements! :lol:

I recently read about someone setting up a greenhouse out on the lawn for her little dog to use in the winter - my husband and I are planning on investigating options for setting up some sort of "structure" (greenhouse, "lean to", etc) for next winter - kinda late to do anything for this season!

Because Charley will go outside to potty even when we doesn't like the weather (for adequate compensation, of course! :D ), I haven't really explored options for an indoor potty spot. Do you have a porch or deck... an area that isn't exactly "inside" but still kinda protected? If so, I remember one episode of IMOTD where Victoria set up a faux grass potty spot on the porch of an student housing appt.

Our poor little guys! I'm ready for spring, too!
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and I don't have a balcony. THis has been such a bad winter. This morning I begged him to go on the pad and he didn't. We went outside and he only peed, then he came back in and ended up pooping in the living room :shock: I didn't get mad at him though. he looked pretty embarrassed and sorry. He just rolled on his back poor thing. THis winter has been horrible. I'm hoping to move to another apartment in the summer and Ill consider getting a balcony for times like these.
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Poor boy! While the weather is so horrible, maybe try another potty break just a few minutes after the first one - or take some really great treats with you outside to make it "worth his while" to be out there long enough to get everything accomplished!

Hopefully other folks with apt experience will have more advice for you!
GoChiBlackhawks

Post by GoChiBlackhawks »

Try getting him used to using the puppy pads outside. I live in an apartment as well, so I understand that sometimes things have to work in not-so-ideal ways.

What I would do is something like click and treat whenever he uses the puppy pad. This is a little unique though so I'm sure it will be much harder. What I think might happen is you will get him used to using the puppy pad outside, and then you'll have to sort of wait for him to not be able to hold it anymore and have to go inside. But make sure you click and treat when he goes on the puppy pad and DO NOT yell or scold if he goes somewhere else in the house. Since you DO want him to go in the house, you DON'T want him to think this is a bad idea.

Try this:
1) Take puppy pads outside with you, encourage him to use them. Click and treat when he does use them. I would also look up some "placement" training to try to apply here. Essentially, click and treat when he initially touches it, then ask for more and more.
2) When he's successfully going on the puppy pads, start using them inside and doing the placement-type training

However, realize this may open a can of worms. I think it will be much harder for him to learn that he CAN go in the house but ONLY on a puppy pad. Also keep in mind he may come to believe that he can go inside wherever he is (a friend's house, the pet store, in the car, etc.) This has to be done CAREFULLY. Personally, I think it would be best for both him and yourself if you just invest in some great outdoor gear. During the winter months, (and when it's raining) neither of you are going to want to be out there long anyway. Put that coat and boots on, get out there to do his thing, and come right back in. He'll hate it, you'll hate it, but he'll get done much faster.

I honestly don't know if this will work how you want it to. Also, while dogs are very intelligent, I don't know that they can reason in the way you want him to ("This morning I begged him to go on the pad and he didn't"); dogs don't understand begging. Maybe try contacting someone (a vet or behaviorist?) who deals with elderly dogs who have to use puppy pads permanently. Without sounding like a jerk, the best thing to do is just go outside. Getting outside, even for a few minutes, can keep your dog from going nuts from being cooped up all day. My dog is also reluctant to poop outside in bad weather, but he will do it if we take him out every few minutes (when we know he has to go).

Depending on how cold it is where you are, Hurtta makes great coats. They're pricey, but they keep my dog warm.

I apologize for the rambling; it's been a long week. Good luck!
minkee

Post by minkee »

If it were me, my preference would be to have a big ol' coat for him, and a big ol' coat for me, so we're both happy to spend a little time outside doing what needs to be done :)

If you definitely want to try something for inside still, though, you might have more success if you set up a little 'outdoors' indoors. Dog's learn to go on whatever substrate is under their feet - IE. if he's used to going on grass, he'll want grass under his feet if he's going to go. Does that make sense? So a puppy pad in no way feels like a toilet to him, because it's soft material, like your bed, your carpets, your cushions, your sofa. So it's a GOOD thing that he doesn't want to go on it! If he learns to go on puppy pads he might have a hard time distinguishing between them and all those other things that you DON'T want him to go on.

What you could do is get 2 kitty litter trays and fill them with some turf, or pebbles, or whatever he's used to going on. Then you can rotate them so they can get washed and have a chance to recover while the other is in use. Be sure, though, that opening this door to pooping inside is something you want to do! Lots of people would kill for a dog that's so thoroughly housetrained!
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I know I'm lucky to have a dog that is housebroken. I just wanted to give him another option in real bad weather but I dont want to confuse him into thinking going in the house ANYWHERE is ok either. Ok, well I'll just have to invest in a big coat. I'm also thinking about hot summers too UGH. I just dont want him to suffer, maybe I'm over thinking it. I dont know. BUt thanks again for the advice.
GoChiBlackhawks

Post by GoChiBlackhawks »

In summer, too, you just have to limit the amount of time you're out there and find a nice shady spot for him. I feel like you might feel as if he needs to be protected like a newborn, which I understand. But he'll be fine as long as he isn't exposed for too long. In bad weather, if he seems like he's trying to get somewhere (ex/ pulling towards a tree) follow him. That's him controlling his own environment. Does that make sense?
Also, invest in some good doggy shoes/boots for both winter and summer. A good rule of thumb, if you couldn't stand in a spot barefoot, then neither can he. I also like to remember that if I'm cold, he's cold. But most dogs generally enjoy being outside, so don't take that right away from him just because you think it's too miserable out there for him :)
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

GoChiBlackhawks wrote:In summer, too, you just have to limit the amount of time you're out there and find a nice shady spot for him. I feel like you might feel as if he needs to be protected like a newborn, which I understand. But he'll be fine as long as he isn't exposed for too long. In bad weather, if he seems like he's trying to get somewhere (ex/ pulling towards a tree) follow him. That's him controlling his own environment. Does that make sense?
Also, invest in some good doggy shoes/boots for both winter and summer. A good rule of thumb, if you couldn't stand in a spot barefoot, then neither can he. I also like to remember that if I'm cold, he's cold. But most dogs generally enjoy being outside, so don't take that right away from him just because you think it's too miserable out there for him :)
Yes, this is my first dog and only. People tell me I'm "spoiling" him. I just dont want him to suffer due to something that I might have done or not done. Yes, all that you've said makes plenty of sense. :)
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

You have a lovely attitude of not wanting your Jack to suffer anything needlessly! But as long as Jack is healthy and potty breaks in extreme weather conditions are kept to a safe and reasonable time limit, I wouldn't think being outside for potty breaks would be detrimental to him.

Charley and I have a potty time routine in foul weather (when, if he had his preference, he'd sleep in his blankets all day!): I walk over to wherever he is and give him a small tasty treat to get his attention, and he gets a small tasty treat for coming over to the door. That way, I give him a reason to want to go out (tasty treat!) and that keeps him from giving me those "puppy dog eyes" (from Jack's pic, I bet he's a master at that!)!
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

Sabrina wrote:You have a lovely attitude of not wanting your Jack to suffer anything needlessly! But as long as Jack is healthy and potty breaks in extreme weather conditions are kept to a safe and reasonable time limit, I wouldn't think being outside for potty breaks would be detrimental to him.

Charley and I have a potty time routine in foul weather (when, if he had his preference, he'd sleep in his blankets all day!): I walk over to wherever he is and give him a small tasty treat to get his attention, and he gets a small tasty treat for coming over to the door. That way, I give him a reason to want to go out (tasty treat!) and that keeps him from giving me those "puppy dog eyes" (from Jack's pic, I bet he's a master at that!)!
Yes, I think Jack knows he's got me right in those little paws if his :lol: . I just love him so much and want the best for him. :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You would be amazed what extremes of weather dogs can tolerate. They are a lot better equipped for it than we are. I would strongly recommend you create a sheltered outdoor area for yours to potty :) because it's a rare dog that can manage a 'sometimes' situation - they are much happier with consistency.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

Nettle wrote: because it's a rare dog that can manage a 'sometimes' situation - they are much happier with consistency.
Dogs believe it's 'always' or 'never'