What's your opinion on "Tug" games?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I don't post often here, but this caught my eye. Tug of war has been perceived by many as teaching a dog opposition or that it can make a dog challenge his owner for "top dog" position. I disagree absolutely and totally. I see tug as a cooperative "killing" game, if any sort of "pack" behavior is to be attributed to domestic dogs. (that's a whole other subject that I think is very misunderstood and over-used where domestic dogs are concerned).

Tug of war is fun. Dogs play this with each other all the time. It's a game. Winning builds confidence in a dog. It's one of the games I encourage for clients with insecure dogs. A confindent dog is a much safer, well balanced dog.

As with any game, there must be rules. And they must be carried out consistently with the same consequence every time. My rules are: first...before playing the game, an "out" must be taught. I use "give." I like the dog to give the object to my hand and I teach this by trading him for a treat and give the object back again. It's a good and rewarding thing for the dog to give up his toy, not a threat that will put him on the defensive.

I recommend, as a rule of thumb.... one toy only for tug and only one...I happen to use a rope toy or an old sock. I am not too adamant with this one with my particular dogs. I don't follow my own advice with this one. :roll:

Unlike some trainers, I don't mind if my dog initiates the game or asks to play. (I can tell when my dogs want to play that game. They bring me something and play bow and wag, pick up the thing and drop it in front of me again.) I don't mind if a friend calls me up and asks me to play tennis either. I just make sure that I get to initiate the game plenty of the time and don't always respond to my dogs' requests. "Not now honey...Mommy is busy cooking." LOL. Then they go find something else to do.

If a dog's tooth hit's my skin, even by accident or if there's any lunging, jumping or snapping for the toy.....game over immediately. I'll offer to play again in a minute or so. Repeat as necessary until the dog understands what behavior pays off and what doesn't. This one I am very consistent with and no exceptions ever.

So, it's just another opportunity to interact in a fun, companionable and natural way with your dog as long as the rules are installed and it's fun for both.
Training with my mind, not my hands.